A New Year
Started by Celeste, 7th January 2019 19:38 in Poetry, Books & Writing

1. #1 | 2100185
    Minimalist Poet

JAN

Default A New Year

Hello everyone and happy new year to you all.

I am sorry that I have not been around to post any new poetry recently, this is because I was struggling with some of the core concepts for my latest piece.

My plan was to have this released on New Year's Eve 2018, but sadly it was not to be as it simply wasn't quite ready. I was having trouble with the fine details of some of the wording, and I decided I'd rather wait until it was ready.

This poem aims to evoke those new years of our childhood, when it was all very new and exciting, and we were allowed to stay up very late to see the new year in with our parents. It presents dynamic imagery of the excitement of the new year, juxtaposed with a sadness that yet another year has passed. It asks questions of the reader, such as whether that past year has been as fulfilling as it could be, so whilst the poem itself is intended to be joyous, it does have a melancholy tinge to it.

I hope you like it.

Celeste

"The New Year"
    A minimalist work
    2019 Celestine Gordson

Happy
    new
    YEAR!
    Celestine Gordson
    Liked by: TheDruid 3X3

2. #2 | 2100194
    Fluffed out
    England

JAN

Default Re: A New Year

I'm not convinced you did intend to release this on New Year's Eve, Celeste, and suspect that your late release is in fact a crafty and deliberate ploy. You have left the reader a hint, by making the line "new" the only one that does not begin with an upper case letter. In the case of an upcoming New Year, with the promise and excitement of the imminent eruption of festivities as the clock strikes midnight, the "New" in "New Year" would absolutely require an upper case "N". The fact that you have - very cleverly - made this a lower case "n" suggests the jaundiced dismissal, the sheer anti-climax, of a new year whose exuberance is already spent less than a week in. It's a lower case "n" of despondency, of hopelessness, of the sheer pointlessness of the misguided excess of a week ago.

This shocking - some might even say vicious - denouement of the nave expectations to which the drunken revellings had initially aspired, reduced to ashes and misery in a such a short space of time, hinges entirely on that single, lower case letter. The sheer power of that small letter is a poetic masterpiece, and makes the reader gasp in wonder that this tiny, frail, little "n" can carry such an enormous burden and yet survive intact, marking this as a work of almost pure genius.

Why, you might ask, do I say "almost"? There is, in my very humble opinion, one tiny thing absent from this poem that would bring the entire work into a single unified whole - and that is a question mark. You yourself have said that the poem demands questions of the reader, which is surely does. Where then is the symbol of interrogation? If the question being demanded is whether fulfillment can ever be attained - and that clearly is the question, given the powerful deflation implied in that chilling and outrageous second line of not the past year but the current one - then the concept of happiness itself is brought into question. This suggests that the "Happy" requires a question mark, which would make a breathtaking counterpoint to the false excitement of the final exclamation mark of "YEAR".

3. #3 | 2100202
    Important staff person.
    Unbiased admin.
    BC Team
    South Africa

JAN

Celeste
    "The New Year"
    A minimalist work
    2019 Celestine Gordson

Happy
    new
    YEAR!
    An interesting and very subtle work, Celeste.
    Please forgive me for saying so, but I am inclined to think it has been written before....by someone else
    I am sure those same words were printed on a seasonal card that I received a week or so ago.
    REES-MOGG for PM

4. #4 | 2100203
    here
    Wales

JAN

I myself have been suffering from a blocked creative impulse.
    Struggling with mundane thoughts and pondering the banality of of the standard new year poetic output.

Then just this afternoon I was out shopping for next years Christmas gifts in the bottom of the bargain bin when I slipped on a banana skin and knocked my head a tin of sardines becoming temporarily unconscious. It was on awaking from this unfortunate spell of nescience that I was hit with a sudden inspiration and thought of an audacious way to subvert the usual sentiment attached to prose at this time of year. I submit my humble offering below.

"A banana skin inspired ode"
    A minimalist work
    2019 Parsonstreet

Unhappy New year
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

5. #5 | 2100218
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

JAN

Chris Mitchell
    I'm not convinced you did intend to release this on New Year's Eve, Celeste, and suspect that your late release is in fact a crafty and deliberate ploy. You have left the reader a hint, by making the line "new" the only one that does not begin with an upper case letter. In the case of an upcoming New Year, with the promise and excitement of the imminent eruption of festivities as the clock strikes midnight, the "New" in "New Year" would absolutely require an upper case "N". The fact that you have - very cleverly - made this a lower case "n" suggests the jaundiced dismissal, the sheer anti-climax, of a new year whose exuberance is already spent less than a week in. It's a lower case "n" of despondency, of hopelessness, of the sheer pointlessness of the misguided excess of a week ago.

This shocking - some might even say vicious - denouement of the nave expectations to which the drunken revellings had initially aspired, reduced to ashes and misery in a such a short space of time, hinges entirely on that single, lower case letter. The sheer power of that small letter is a poetic masterpiece, and makes the reader gasp in wonder that this tiny, frail, little "n" can carry such an enormous burden and yet survive intact, marking this as a work of almost pure genius.

Why, you might ask, do I say "almost"? There is, in my very humble opinion, one tiny thing absent from this poem that would bring the entire work into a single unified whole - and that is a question mark. You yourself have said that the poem demands questions of the reader, which is surely does. Where then is the symbol of interrogation? If the question being demanded is whether fulfillment can ever be attained - and that clearly is the question, given the powerful deflation implied in that chilling and outrageous second line of not the past year but the current one - then the concept of happiness itself is brought into question. This suggests that the "Happy" requires a question mark, which would make a breathtaking counterpoint to the false excitement of the final exclamation mark of "YEAR".
    Good stuff?
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

6. #6 | 2100219
    Fluffed out
    England

JAN

Not as nice as the mushrooms that Bob Bobson sold me, but I gave them up after the Wifi started talking to me.

7. #7 | 2100231
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JAN

Chris Mitchell

8. #8 | 2100246
    Minimalist Poet

JAN

Chris Mitchell
    Indeed. In fact 'Misguided Excess' might have been a good title. I'll bear that in mind for future efforts.

Chris Mitchell
    I am touched you enjoyed it so much.

Chris Mitchell
    Interesting thoughts that I shall bear in mind for future works.
    Celestine Gordson

9. #9 | 2100247
    Minimalist Poet

JAN

sphinx
    An interesting and very subtle work, Celeste.
    Please forgive me for saying so, but I am inclined to think it has been written before....by someone else
    I am sure those same words were printed on a seasonal card that I received a week or so ago.
    Think of it more as an inspiration. The cases are, indeed, also different.
    Celestine Gordson
    Liked by: sphinx

10. #10 | 2100248
    Minimalist Poet

JAN

parsonstreet
    I myself have been suffering from a blocked creative impulse.
    Struggling with mundane thoughts and pondering the banality of of the standard new year poetic output.

Then just this afternoon I was out shopping for next years Christmas gifts in the bottom of the bargain bin when I slipped on a banana skin and knocked my head a tin of sardines becoming temporarily unconscious. It was on awaking from this unfortunate spell of nescience that I was hit with a sudden inspiration and thought of an audacious way to subvert the usual sentiment attached to prose at this time of year. I submit my humble offering below.

"A banana skin inspired ode"
    A minimalist work
    2019 Parsonstreet

Unhappy New year
    This moving piece is truly inspiring, conjuring up as it does images of the massed hoards enjoying themselves in their revelry, while one solitary man lies prone, defeated by a banana skin and a sardine tin.

I applaud the bravery of this piece.
    Celestine Gordson
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

Thread Information