Of precious pearls a glorious crown.
    I say! What an anti-Semitic poem!!

3. #13 | 2101532
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JAN

Default Re: The Path To Celtic Buddhism

Awens to All:

Dru recounts in the next chapter 'Ancestors' how he had gone back to his Irish Home and found himself Ostracized from his Irish Family for having left the Cisternian Order Monastery. He mentions that his being in the Monastery brought his Family some Prestige in their Community and when he left after finding Celtic Buddhism, they would not have him over to Visit and would not even allow to his Aunt's Funeral. Obviously, from what is written in this Book, having to extract himself from the Monastery was somewhat difficult for him.

But he writes about how he was able to find solace in the local Buddhist Temple and writes about how one of the Best Things about Celtic Buddhism is how it allows you to make Deities of your Ancestors and Worship Them as a form of Universal Deity that works good for You.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

4. #14 | 2101545
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JAN

I recently noticed that even some of the Vikings were into Buddhism. This point was highlighted in a recent eposide of Vikings on Amazon Prime, when one of Ragnar's sons bought a Buddha from a Chinese merchant.

Archaeologists recently found a Buddha in a Viking grave:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...Stockholm.html

5. #15 | 2101546
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JAN

TheDruid 3X3
    Awens to All:

The Foreword is an recap of the History of how Celtic Buddhism was founded in the early 1970s and in the Introduction, it states that it is something to help bring back the Ancient Celtic Culture of the Druids and how the Ancient Celtic had to have Warrior Druids to fend off the Perils of the Life that existed in those times and how it pays Respect to the Cycles of Nature.

3X3
    That is fairly recently. That sort of thing does not impress me, but if you could show me that the ancient Celts and their druids were into Buddhism, then I would be impressed.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, Luna

6. #16 | 2101583
    BC Member
    Ireland

JAN

Celts were around a long time before Buddhism was invented - 2nd century BC in Ireland, 3rd or 4th century in UK - so I would have thought they would be very firmly established in their own religions. Buddhism didn't arrive until 6th century BC and - given the lack of internet connections at that time - it would have been many years before the Celts even heard about it.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

7. #17 | 2101622
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

JAN

Luna
    Celts were around a long time before Buddhism was invented - 2nd century BC in Ireland, 3rd or 4th century in UK - so I would have thought they would be very firmly established in their own religions. Buddhism didn't arrive until 6th century BC and - given the lack of internet connections at that time - it would have been many years before the Celts even heard about it.
    Nevertheless Celts did settle in Turkey and in that country they could have encountered people who had visited or traded with places further east. These eastern places could easly have had Buddhists living there. In ancient times before the emergence of Christianity and Islam many parts of western Asia would have had Buddhists. e.g. The Buddhas of Bamiyan were 6th-century statues of Gautam Buddha carved into the side of a cliff in the Bamyan valley in the Hazarajat region of central Afghanistan and were destroyed by the Taliban in 2001.
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

8. #18 | 2101858
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JAN

Bill. MC
    That is fairly recently. That sort of thing does not impress me, but if you could show me that the ancient Celts and their druids were into Buddhism, then I would be impressed.
    It is not there to Impress You.

It is just that some Buddhists and some Celtic Pagans noticed in 1972 that their Philosophies were So Similar that they Decided to Found a New Tradition of Buddhism along the lines of both Buddhism and Celtic Paganism.

3X3

9. #19 | 2101862
    BC Member
    Ireland

JAN

TheDruid 3X3
    It is not there to Impress You.

It is just that some Buddhists and some Celtic Pagans noticed in 1972 that their Philosophies were So Similar that they Decided to Found a New Tradition of Buddhism along the lines of both Buddhism and Celtic Paganism.

3X3
    So just another modern invented religion then.

10. #20 | 2102575
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

JAN

The next Chapter is called 'Nature'. It is a Short Chapter and it goes over how Dru made it through the Transition from Christianity into Buddhism by Peaceful Meditative Practices and it was through the Morale Support of others and then concludes with a Spiritual Ode to the Celtic Nature Goddess Anu.

3X3

Thread Information