Favourite Songs
Started by Scrotnig, 6th July 2018 22:47 in Music & Video

1. #11 | 2082687
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Default Re: Favourite Songs

Memnoch
    Annie Lennox, obviously, and I'm pretty sure Dave Stewart too. So it's the Eurythmics under a different name.
    No, they weren't Eurythmics under a different name. Yes, they had Stewart and Lennox, but the big difference, and the reason Eurythmics were a lot more successful, is that Dave Stewart was the main creative influence in Eirythmics, but in The Tourists, he was pretty much just a guitarist, the main creative influence was Pete Coombes. After The Tourists split, Annie and Dave made the music they wanted to. The Eurythmics don't sound much like The Tourists, apart, obviously, from Annie's voice.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.
    Liked by: Memnoch

2. #12 | 2082692
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

Fork Me
    No, they weren't Eurythmics under a different name. Yes, they had Stewart and Lennox, but the big difference, and the reason Eurythmics were a lot more successful, is that Dave Stewart was the main creative influence in Eirythmics, but in The Tourists, he was pretty much just a guitarist, the main creative influence was Pete Coombes. After The Tourists split, Annie and Dave made the music they wanted to. The Eurythmics don't sound much like The Tourists, apart, obviously, from Annie's voice.
    Thanks (no really), interesting bit of music history.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Fork Me

3. #13 | 2082702
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Scrotnig
    No bugger will like this.
    I do.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

4. #14 | 2082735
    Bouncy fault finder
    United Kingdom

JUL

Fork Me
    I'm gonna go for a song with lots of versions that I just came back across while listening to Joan Jett's first solo album.

First, thhe original, by Lesley Gore (more famous for the terrible "It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To") in 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUjeR01wnU

Dusty Springfield covered it in the same year (different versions of the same song released close to each other wasn't uncommon in the 50s and 60s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTQfyY48HRs

Joan Jett put it on her first album just after the Runaways split (but before she formed The lBlackhearts) in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4aGp61jT_4

Jump forward to 1996, Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton did a rather nice version in First Wives Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oFL_b719g

It was revamped in 2015, when Australian singer/songwriter, Grace, did a rather awesome cover with the help of G-Eazy. I like this, it modernised it without taking anything away from the original. Grace is a truly talented singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeRU_ZPDkE

I always really liked this version...

Although I have to say, my favourite version has always been the legendary Ms. Springfield, one of the best female vocalists ever, imo.

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Liked by: Fork Me, Luna

5. #15 | 2082747
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Fairy_Nuff
    I always really liked this version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nA9XkBD-w

Although I have to say, my favourite version has always been the legendary Ms. Springfield, one of the best female vocalists ever, imo.

I'd not heard that version. Up until I heard Joan's version, the original was always my favourite. I think Joan just pips it though with that extra bit of defiant independence that the song's all about.

6. #16 | 2082748
    Bouncy fault finder
    United Kingdom

JUL

Fork Me
    I'd not heard that version. Up until I heard Joan's version, the original was always my favourite. I think Joan just pips it though with that extra bit of defiant independence that the song's all about.
    When I replied, the only one of yours I wasn't familiar with was that one. I like Joan Jett. I didn't have a chance to listen to it 'till just now but... I like it.

Dustys is still my favourite but... we both heard a completely different version to any we've heard before, which is always a good thing, imo . I'm impressed by her version...

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Liked by: Fork Me

7. #17 | 2082798
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Fairy_Nuff
    When I replied, the only one of yours I wasn't familiar with was that one. I like Joan Jett. I didn't have a chance to listen to it 'till just now but... I like it.

Dustys is still my favourite but... we both heard a completely different version to any we've heard before, which is always a good thing, imo . I'm impressed by her version...

It's on Joan's first album. I heard it many year's ago, but recently found a copy of the original vinyl (which is quite rare - it was re-released with a diffeent title very quickly) for less than it's worth so bought it and listened again.

It's a great album, unlike anything she'd done before or since. The Runaways had just split, she was just 20 years old, moved to England and decided she'd go solo. She made a few tracks with Steve Jones and Paul Cook (ex Sex Pistols) and then went back to the States to work on a film about The Runaways that she was contractually obliged to so. She met songwriter and producer Kenny Laguna and they decided to work together. No record compamy in the States would touch it so Laguna borrowed from his daughter's college fund to self release it. A year later the title was changed and it got a proper release. In Europe, they did get a deal first time roind with Ariola. It's an original Ariola copy that I have,

MUsically, it's very varied, Joan hadn't gone full out pop-rock yet and the album is rawer than her later work, but at the same time more mature than what she did with The Runaways. Some of it is quite punky (not surprising as Jones and Cook do play on some tracks), but it also drops back to 50s/60s rock n roll sounfs, some soinds a bit glam (there's two Gary Giltter covers, but nobody knew he was a pervert back then) , but it's all pure Joan. As well as the cover of You Don't Own Me, there's also a cover of Shout. There's still room though for 5 of her own compositions.

Liked by: Fairy_Nuff

Thread Information