Independence Day in the US
Started by pensacola_niceman, 30th June 2016 08:37 in Travel & Holidays

1. #41 | 2122715
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Default Re: Independence Day in the US

Chris Mitchell
    I can't speak for Greece, but when we went to Italy a few years ago there was a clear divide between old and young. The people waiting to hear the Pope, and on their knees praying, were mainly older people. Hardly any young people. We did a guided walking tour of Rome and our young guide (an Italian of Catholic stock) spent quite a lot of the time making very rude remarks about the Church. One of the tour party said "I thought you were Catholic in Italy?" and she said "Pfffftt!! Not the young people! We might believe in something, but it's certainly not THAT!"

The next day, we went to the Forum, and Phil handed over his voucher for the Vatican instead. The (young) woman working in the ticket office said "no, wrong ticket - we're not the Vatican. THANKFULLY!"

The birth rates for Italy and Spain are both very low, at about 1.3 children per couple, but not a low as Cyprus, with only 1 child per couple!
    What you say about Italy is also true for Ireland. But in Cyprus I know a lot of very religious younger people, the same is true in Serbia. I'd say the majority of younger Serbs I've met aren't very religious, but the ones that are - wow. They take extremism to a whole new level.

In Ukraine, Christian fundamentalism and the extreme right are very very closely linked, including among a section of the younger generation. One of the young lads in the rugby team we played had Christian symbolism tattooed on one arm and extreme right wing symbols (including a swastika) tattooed on the other.
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.

2. #42 | 2122726
    Fluffed out
    England

JUL

Fork Me
    What you say about Italy is also true for Ireland. But in Cyprus I know a lot of very religious younger people, the same is true in Serbia. I'd say the majority of younger Serbs I've met aren't very religious, but the ones that are - wow. They take extremism to a whole new level.

In Ukraine, Christian fundamentalism and the extreme right are very very closely linked, including among a section of the younger generation. One of the young lads in the rugby team we played had Christian symbolism tattooed on one arm and extreme right wing symbols (including a swastika) tattooed on the other.
    Yes, the right-wing nationalist movements like to dress it up in Christianity (since we all know that Jesus was blond haired and blue eyed and definitely not a Jew, no siree), but I'd hope they're not representative of young people at large. If they are, we're truly fucked.
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #43 | 2122781
    BC Member
    Cyprus

JUL

Chris Mitchell
    Yes, the right-wing nationalist movements like to dress it up in Christianity (since we all know that Jesus was blond haired and blue eyed and definitely not a Jew, no siree), but I'd hope they're not representative of young people at large. If they are, we're truly fucked.
    God, no, but they are a worryingly large minority. Orthodox Christianity and Naitionalism historically go back a long way, in Greece, Serbia, Russia and Ukraine.

The loss of Agia Sofia in 1453 is still a major reason for Greek anti-Turk feeling for example. Many Greeks, and pretty much ALL religious Greeks still call Istanbul, "Constantinople".
    Please note that any abuse in this post is both intentional and deserved.

Anyone that feels the need to further point out that it contains abuse is clearly a total fucking moron who's also insulting YOUR intelligence by pointing out the bleeding obvious as if you were too fucking dumb to notice it.

This has been a public service announcement by Fork Me. Have a nice fucking day.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

Thread Information