"Gay cake" bakery wins appeal
Started by Scrotnig, 10th October 2018 21:00 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 2091030
    BC Member
    BC Team

OCT

Default "Gay cake" bakery wins appeal

This was surprising.

This was the bakery in Northern Ireland whose owners refused to bake a cake with the words 'support gay marriage' on it, as it contravened their Christian beliefs.

The customer sued them for discrimination, and won, but that has now been overturned on appeal:

Click Here

The bakery always insisted it was the slogan they objected to, not the fact the customer was gay.

Personally, I think that's a tenuous description and I believe they are homophobic.

But, to what extent should a retailer be FORCED to serve a customer? I always thought retail was legally an 'invitation to treat' and service could be refused without giving a reason. Clearly, that's not the case any more.

Or perhaps the issue is they DID give a reason - objecting to the slogan. They should have just declined and said no more about it.

2. #2 | 2091031
    Fluffed out
    England

OCT

Default Re: "Gay cake" bakery wins appeal

I'm pretty sure they are homophobic, but the issue of whether a business can be forced to produce a slogan that they disagree with is a tricky one. They claim, whether it's true or not, that they weren't discriminating against the person, only the slogan.

They have one surprising ally in this, incidentally - Peter Tatchell, who thinks it's a good thing they won the case.

3. #3 | 2091035
    Hammond Out
    England

OCT

More likely given the location a Protestant/Catholic issue.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.

4. #4 | 2091213
    The forum Cassandra
    St Lucia

OCT

If they had refused to serve the customers because they were gay, that would be discriminatory. But people should not be forced to write something they don't agree with. For example, what if a customer had asked them to write "Support the BNP" or "Support Islamic State" on a cake. I think it would be reasonable to decline such a request.

It reminds me of a case when a man working for a housing association had his salary slashed because he had written on social media that gay marriage was a "step too far". He wrote it in a personal capacity and in his own time. It is political correctness gone too far.
    I offered, he unilaterally changed the terms of the offer at short notice, I declined the changes, and he's been w**king over it ever since.
    Liked by: bill jarvis, Luna, sphinx

5. #5 | 2091273
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

"Plutonium spanks his monkey"

That's a good slogan for a cake.

6. #6 | 2091275
    here
    Wales

OCT

Plutonium
    But people should not be forced to write something they don't agree with. For example, what if a customer had asked them to write "Support the BNP" or "Support Islamic State" on a cake.
    I don't think that is equivalent though.
    The Tendrils of insanity
    History in the crunching of dead leaves
    The ghost of a tyrant Knight
    Haunting the architecture

7. #7 | 2091279
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

parsonstreet
    You're right, he's an idiot.

8. #8 | 2092153
    The forum Cassandra
    St Lucia

OCT

parsonstreet
    Why do you think that? It's exactly the same principle, as far as I can see. You're being asked to write something you don't support or agree with. You have a right to decline the request.
    I offered, he unilaterally changed the terms of the offer at short notice, I declined the changes, and he's been w**king over it ever since.

9. #9 | 2092157
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

OCT

Plutonium
    Why do you think that? It's exactly the same principle, as far as I can see. You're being asked to write something you don't support or agree with. You have a right to decline the request.
    I get the impression that parsonstreet is attempting to say that it is acceptable for bakeries to have 'politically statements' on cakes, but not necessarily acceptable to have slogans supporting 'extreme right wing' political parties.

10. #10 | 2092158
    BC Member
    Cyprus

OCT

Bill. MC
    I get the impression that parsonstreet is attempting to say that it is acceptable for bakeries to have 'politically statements' on cakes, but not necessarily acceptable to have slogans supporting 'extreme right wing' political parties.
    I'm getting a cake made with "support bulling" written on it.
    Scrotnig is a rightard. 100% true.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

Thread Information