Paganism and homosexuality etc
Started by Nice Fred, 9th October 2018 23:08 in Paganism & Divinatory Arts

1. #1 | 2090979
    Humbug.. but in a nice way

OCT

Default Paganism and homosexuality etc

What is the pagan view of homosexuality, sex with post pubescent but still young girls, and other types of relationships commonly viewed as immoral or otherwise unacceptable in many cultures?
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy

2. #2 | 2090983
    Fluffed out
    England

OCT

Default Re: Paganism and homosexuality etc

Most pagans I know aren't obsessed with sex, but take a "live and let live" attitude towards sexuality, provided both parties are consenting and mature enough to make their own minds up. The guilt and power control that the "religions of the book" (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) have don't really apply, so two adult men or women having sex together is fine if they're both up for it, but raping children isn't - that's reserved for people who follow the bible or Qur'an. Not that everyone who follows those religious books rape children, but bear in mind that paedophilia was legal in most of Christian Europe in medieval times, and in Spain until 1975 (an old man could marry a 12 year old girl legally), and the Ayatollah Khomeini famously said that the greatest gift a girl could give her father was to have her first period in her husband's bed, rather than in her father's house. Homosexuality between adults was taboo in Christian Europe until recently and still is in much of the Islamic world, but a man having sex with a "beardless boy" was sort of OK and only a minor misdemeanour in both Christian monasteries and in many Islamic cultures.

So when you talk about gay sex being "immoral or otherwise unacceptable", pagans would think you were turning morality on its head. Pagans, like most secular people, would consider sex between two consenting adults to be OK, but sex between an adult and an unconsenting child to be definitely not OK.

3. #3 | 2090986

OCT

Chris Mitchell
    So when you talk about gay sex being "immoral or otherwise unacceptable"
    Please take note of the comma in my sentence separating the types of sex mentioned, and also take note of the words, "commonly viewed as immoral or otherwise unacceptable in many cultures", those stating the views of others, not necessarily mine.
    The discussion is also aimed at views held by pagans on sex, not there to bash other religions.

To the subject in question - My understanding is paganism is all about natural law, thus that would suggest a sexual relationship with any sexually mature girl would be perfectly acceptable to those who follow the religion - Is that true?

4. #4 | 2090993

OCT

It appears KiNo is unwilling to enlighten posters about his beliefs - a little disappointing.

5. #5 | 2090995
    BC Member
    Ireland

OCT

The foremost Pagan rede is 'Harm none', Fred.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

6. #6 | 2090997
    Fluffed out
    England

OCT

Nice Fred
    Please take note of the comma in my sentence separating the types of sex mentioned, and also take note of the words, "commonly viewed as immoral or otherwise unacceptable in many cultures", those stating the views of others, not necessarily mine.
    The discussion is also aimed at views held by pagans on sex, not there to bash other religions.

To the subject in question - My understanding is paganism is all about natural law, thus that would suggest a sexual relationship with any sexually mature girl would be perfectly acceptable to those who follow the religion - Is that true?
    It's hard not to contrast paganism with other religions, because most of us have been brought up in societies that, even if they're largely secular, have a religious tradition that relates to a specific sacred text with a single god. That means that even if we're atheist or agnostic, we tend to view any spiritual outlook that we're not familiar with through that lens - which is what makes it hard for Westerners to understand, say, Buddhism or Taoism or Hinduism.

Paganism has numerous forms - the word just means "country dweller" in Latin, just like "heathen" means "heath dweller". It's a misnomer, though, since when I was involved in pagan groups, most of the pagans I knew didn't live in the country, and to be frank weren't in that touch with nature - they couldn't recognise types of tree, or herbs, or whatever. Political views ranged from verging on neo-Nazi with groups like the Asatru, who worshipped Nordic gods through libertarian techno-pagans who wanted to liberate the world through new structures that would be enabled by the newly-burgeoning Internet, to hedge witches who fit in more with your example of pagans in touch with nature.

However, being in touch with nature is only part of it. The creed that most pagans in the UK follow, and which Kino seems to subscribe to too, is (as Luna pointed out) "harm none". This should mean living in harmony with nature, so not wrecking your environment, and it also means respecting other people. It doesn't mean following your animal instincts at all times. For instance, an adult male may be physically aroused by a sexually mature girl of, say, 13. However, the "harm none" part means recognising that although the girl has at least partially reached sexual maturity, she hasn't reached emotional maturity, and that having sex with her would almost certainly cause her emotional harm. The "harm none" also means not coercing people. For instance, if an MP pressurises his or her secretary into having sex with them, and the secretary is worried about their career if they say "no", then that is also an abuse of power, and so wrong.

7. #7 | 2091005

OCT

What a good answer - most enlightening
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, Luna

8. #8 | 2091025
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

OCT

Nice Fred

You started off this thread with mention of 'post pubescent but still young girls' and now you talk about 'any sexually mature girl'. Unless you are a teenage boy (which I doubt) then it looks like you have an unhealthy obsession.
    Liked by: Joe 90

9. #9 | 2091028
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

OCT

Nice Fred
    What is the pagan view of homosexuality, sex with post pubescent but still young girls, and other types of relationships commonly viewed as immoral or otherwise unacceptable in many cultures?
    Why, are you thinking of joining?

10. #10 | 2091037

OCT

Bill. MC
    You started off this thread with mention of 'post pubescent but still young girls' and now you talk about 'any sexually mature girl'. Unless you are a teenage boy (which I doubt) then it looks like you have an unhealthy obsession.
    Education is always a good thing, and doesn't need any special interest in taking part in any given activity to spark an interest.
    I have little interest in becoming a pagan, but a lot of interest in understanding how other groups think.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

Thread Information