Out of steam
Started by Memnoch, 11th July 2018 22:09 in Sport, Hobbies & Pastimes

1. #1 | 2082887
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

Default Out of steam

In the end, England were just not good enough, but they were braver than any England team I've seen in a very long time. I've been saying for ages that no matter how well they may play for their clubs, when you put three lions on an English footballer's shirt he stops caring. Well, that's no longer the case. I still think it's a ridiculous game, but at least for the first time in a long time we haven't been made to look completely stupid.
    YOU LOST. Deal with it

2. #2 | 2082888
    Lesterian
    BC Team

JUL

Default Re: Out of steam

I think overall they did amazingly well. I'm not entirely sure what happened tonight though, they did very well in the first half and took the lead, it seemed as though they'd decided they'd done enough after that. It was shades of the previous England team from then on. A great pity as they could have won it easily.
    Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears! Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

3. #3 | 2082889
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

Scrotnig
    I think overall they did amazingly well. I'm not entirely sure what happened tonight though, they did very well in the first half and took the lead, it seemed as though they'd decided they'd done enough after that.
    I think it was the occasion. Young team, most important game of their lives, whole world watching... they're leading a world cup semi-final - a situation probably none of them seriously thought they'd find themselves in. Could you reasonably expect them to know how to handle it? I think they lost it because they instinctively tried to hang on to what they had rather than keep going for more. I wouldn't blame them for that as the only one who's been there before is the manager and he can't carry the team from the touchline for two hours.

It was shades of the previous England team from then on. A great pity as they could have won it easily.
    Yes, they missed too many chances and Croatia were lucky to go to the break only one down. But hey, we can do the coulda woulda shoulda all night, we weren't there. They were, they've had a tiny sniff of glory and they'll want more. Four years from now the expectations will be higher - let's see if they're still up for it.
    YOU LOST. Deal with it

4. #4 | 2082890
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

JUL

A pity they scored so early in the game. They seemed to rest on their laurels and all their early passion disappeared.

5. #5 | 2082891
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

And we still have the revenge game against Belgium. That game matters, believe me.
    YOU LOST. Deal with it

6. #6 | 2082894
    Hammond Out
    England

JUL

I kept scratching myself, I itched all over. Due to their slick moves I thought the Croats deserved their win. England looked half a notch slower than them. imo.
    The European Union is Nazism under a new banner.
    Perrin is right about Cameron, on everything else he is wrong.

7. #7 | 2082908
    Lesterian
    BC Team

JUL

Memnoch
    And we still have the revenge game against Belgium. That game matters, believe me.
    I hate the third place play offs. It's meaningless. The defeated semi finalists should just go home. Who gives a shit who finished third? Nobody even cares who finishes second!
    Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears! Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

8. #8 | 2082922
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

Scrotnig
    I hate the third place play offs. It's meaningless. The defeated semi finalists should just go home. Who gives a shit who finished third? Nobody even cares who finishes second!
    I assume the players care, and I'm not a fan so I don't know but I'm guessing they care too.

*I* care who finishes second. I care that Germany finished second because we beat them, and I want France to finish second because the thought of the nazi collaborators being happy pisses me off.
    YOU LOST. Deal with it
    Liked by: sphinx

9. #9 | 2082943
    Writer Of Triad Poems
    Isle of Man

JUL

Funny Thing Happened at my Legion Branch today.

Just towards the end of the Match when England was Losing, a Picture of the Queen Fell From The Wall.

Fortunately, the Glass in the Frame did not Break so after a few well placed Finishing Nails and a couple of dabs of Glue, the Picture is sorted and ready to be put back up on the Wall.

3X3
    Humanity may have Evolved Enough Intelligence to Split the Atom
    But the Average Ordinary Human
    Has the Same Average Ordinary Amount of Wisdom
    To Choose Right from Wrong
    As the Average Ordinary Baboon
    Liked by: sphinx

10. #10 | 2082945
    Bouncy fault finder
    United Kingdom

JUL

TheDruid 3X3
    Funny Thing Happened at my Legion Branch today.

Just towards the end of the Match when England was Losing, a Picture of the Queen Fell From The Wall.

Fortunately, the Glass in the Frame did not Break so after a few well placed Finishing Nails and a couple of dabs of Glue, the Picture is sorted and ready to be put back up on the Wall.

3X3
    Was the funny incident before, or after that?

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Thread Information