Gardening error
Started by Memnoch, 11th August 2017 17:28 in Pets, Wildlife & Gardens

1. #1 | 2043067
    Independent
    United Kingdom

AUG

Default Gardening error

When I moved in there was a sort of terrace thing in the back garden... a low wall bounding an area filled with gravel and a hideous crab apple tree plonked in the middle of it. I cut the tree down very soon after moving in and because I hated the gravel (coarse, grey granite) but couldn't be arsed to remove it I disguised it with grass. Obviously I can't mow it so I have to use a strimmer and I've got fed up with doing that so I decided to clear the whole thing out. I thought I'd just kill the grass with weedkiller then remove the gravel but what I didn't know was that under the gravel was a bloody great tarpaulin and the grass has managed to drill through it into the soil beneath. The tarp has, effectively, taken deep root and half a foot of earth comes with it when I try to pull it up, so I'm having to do it in little strips. My plan is to remove the wall, flatten the terrace down to the level of the lawn then grass it over properly, but what I want to know is... why the hell does anyone think a ton of grey stones in a garden is a good idea?
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards the Super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation". EEC founder Jean Monnet

2. #2 | 2043076
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Default Re: Gardening error

My other house has a lot of gravel in the back garden, not a clue why but I'm not shifting it. Maybe the person who put it there thought it would be low maintenance. There's a house around the corner from me which has their whole drive full of gravel and when it rains there are puddles of water everywhere presumably because their cars and walking have displaced it. Weeds grow up through it everywhere too and it spills out onto the pavement.

Nearly as bad as my other pet hate, pebbledash.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.
    Liked by: Reg Perrin

3. #3 | 2043079
    Independent
    United Kingdom

AUG

Hate pebbledash, horizontal and vertical. My driveway is like that, concrete with little stones embedded in it. It's hideous and a bastard to clean - I haven't got one of those water jet things which I keep promising myself I will get, so I use Teepol and a yard broom. Sooner or later I'm going to break the whole thing up and do the herringbone brick thing.
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards the Super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation". EEC founder Jean Monnet

4. #4 | 2043080
    Independent
    United Kingdom

AUG

Alice
    My other house
    is a Ferrari?

5. #5 | 2043082
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Memnoch
    is a Ferrari?
    Ha, ha no. It's just a little quasi terrace but it has a lovely aspect at the back looking out over a local beauty spot. Apart from the gravel, of course.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

6. #6 | 2043091
    Important Staff Person
    BC Team
    South Africa

AUG

Alice
    My other house

BC's Biggest show-off of the year award on its way to you.
    Love believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never dies. (1 Corinthians)

7. #7 | 2043103
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

sphinx
    BC's Biggest show-off of the year award on its way to you.
    Thank you, thank you... I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get where I am today. Most notably the Halifax, who provided my mortgage, and anyone else who has had income tax, national insurance or VAT from me.
    Liked by: sphinx

8. #8 | 2043108
    Independent
    United Kingdom

AUG

Alice
    Thank you, thank you... I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get where I am today. Most notably the Halifax, who provided my mortgage, and anyone else who has had income tax, national insurance or VAT from me.
    Smugness is such fun, isn't it?

9. #9 | 2043112
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Memnoch
    Smugness is such fun, isn't it?
    Yes, but I don't know how long I can keep it up.

10. #10 | 2043113
    Just an allusion
    England

AUG

Liked by: sphinx

Thread Information