Do you believe the news?
Started by Mr Fred, 16th September 2017 17:35 in News & Current Affairs

View Poll Results: o you just blindly accept the news or do you question what you're told?

Voters
3. You need to be a member of BC to vote on this poll. JOIN NOW - IT'S FREE!
  • I assume it's true

0 0%
  • I question what doesn't seem to add up

2 66.67%
  • I always check the validity any important stories

1 33.33%
  1. #1 | 2048759
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

Default Do you believe the news?

Without bothering to refer to any given story, do you ever bother to check the news in an attempt to see if you're being lied to?
    My newspaper round when I was a kid soon enlightened me to the fact the papers talk bollocks, more so when I saw a story in real life, then read the daily mail version - a pure fabrication.

So, do you just blindly accept the news or do you question what you're told?

2. #2 | 2048761
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

Default Re: Do you believe the news?

I check every important story to see who's feeding a line and you'd be surprised at how many 'facts' aren't.

3. #3 | 2048762
    No one hears your scream
    St Lucia

SEP

I can't say that I check the validity of every single news story - I haven't got time. However, I do recognise that not everything I read in the papers is necessarily true, and I question something that doesn't seem to add up.

To give one example.

In the run up to the Iraq War, when the government was peddling the story about WMDs, and many newspapers were regurgitating it, I read some alternative sources, including Scott Ritter, former head weapons inspector in Iraq, and realised that the story was basically bollocks. Then we invaded Iraq and couldn't find any WMDs, but the people who peddled the story all got away with it.
    Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

Ignore list: Joke 90 and his sock puppets

4. #4 | 2048816
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

Plutonium
    In the run up to the Iraq War, when the government was peddling the story about WMDs, and many newspapers were regurgitating it, I read some alternative sources, including Scott Ritter, former head weapons inspector in Iraq, and realised that the story was basically bollocks. Then we invaded Iraq and couldn't find any WMDs, but the people who peddled the story all got away with it.
    So you know the newspaper lie but do you accept news stories of today even though you can't find supporting evidence?

5. #5 | 2048836
    here
    Wales

SEP

I have seen videos of ISIS atrocities and beheadings in Saudi Arabia. Does that count as news or just independent investigation?
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

6. #6 | 2048844
    No one hears your scream
    St Lucia

SEP

Mr Fred
    So you know the newspaper lie but do you accept news stories of today even though you can't find supporting evidence?
    I have found sufficient corroborative evidence of the NK threat to fire a missile at Guam. There is the photo you know about, there is the site that transcribes articles from the NK news service, and there is the complete absence of evidence that the thread is made up.

The fact that there is nothing on the NK state media, about the threat, means nothing - it may have been deleted. The fact that there is nothing on the NK state media, denying that any such threat was made, is more important to me.
    Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Stand up to cyber bullying

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...erbullying.htm

Ignore list: Joke 90 and his sock puppets

7. #7 | 2048850
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

Plutonium
    there is the site that transcribes articles from the NK news service,
    Run by a US government employee - sort of fucks it up as evidence

8. #8 | 2048851
    BC Member
    Indonesia

SEP

parsonstreet
    I have seen videos of ISIS atrocities and beheadings in Saudi Arabia.
    Have you?
    Please link to them as I'm unsure ISIS operate in Saudi.

As for ISIS in general, it's pretty clear they're a bunch of fucking idiots that have committed a load of serious shit but people continue to make up lies about them.
    I don't understand the point as there is so much truth that sickens everyone.

To ISIS - I first noticed them some years ago when they would attack a place that had already been destroyed, kill a few people, destroyed a few historical bits and bobs, then claim victory.
    There were about a hundred fucking idiots that called themselves ISIS but now they're the biggest terror group in the world.
    IS that smelly or what?

9. #9 | 2048854
    here
    Wales

SEP

Please link to them.
    Why?
    Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name..

10. #10 | 2048855
    BC Member
    BC Team

SEP

No beheading videos please, just to clarify.

Thread Information