"Legal highs"
Started by nicknotnicked, 15th July 2017 12:02 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 2039390
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JUL

Default "Legal highs"

Oh dear, more deaths due to so called "legal highs"...Isn't it about time to sort the wheat from the chaff?

Click Here
    He offered, I accepted, he bottled and fled!

2. #2 | 2039394
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

Default Re: "Legal highs"

As you know, I'm a vaper. I also make my own e-liquid and I have to be extremely precise with my use of nicotine. It's a little-known fact that high doses of nicotine can create a sort-of high and too much can kill you. I know of many instances of DIY juice makers hospitalizing themselves. Even some professionally manufactured and legally-for-sale liquids are dangerous IMO.

Recent legislation has limited the concentration of nicotine bearing liquid that can be sold over the counter, but I still have plenty of PG/Nicotine base in the freezer that I bought before the TPD became law which is four times the legal strength. If I were to vape it undiluted, I would probably die.
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards the Super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation". EEC founder Jean Monnet

3. #3 | 2039395
    Clique? What Clique?
    England

JUL

Memnoch
    As you know, I'm a vaper. I also make my own e-liquid and I have to be extremely precise with my use of nicotine. It's a little-known fact that high doses of nicotine can create a sort-of high and too much can kill you. I know of many instances of DIY juice makers hospitalizing themselves. Even some professionally manufactured and legally-for-sale liquids are dangerous IMO.

Recent legislation has limited the concentration of nicotine bearing liquid that can be sold over the counter, but I still have plenty in the freezer that I bought before the TPD became law which is four times the legally strength. If I were to vape it undiluted, I would probably die.
    I vape as well, I also smoke still this article is about "highs" that kill.
    He offered, I accepted, he bottled and fled!

4. #4 | 2039398
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

nicknotnicked
    The nicotine high is partly due to the way the oxygen concentration in the blood is altered and partly due to the effect nicotine has on the size of blood vessels. There's a definite head rush if the dose is high, and if it lasts longer than a few seconds you're probably in trouble.
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards the Super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation". EEC founder Jean Monnet

5. #5 | 2039417
    BC Member

JUL

nicknotnicked
    So is Memnoch's post.
    "Oh great a female Doctor Who. What next? Female real doctors? Female pilots? Female scientists? Female sisters and mothers? Female WOMEN?!" (Mark Hoppus, Blink 182)
    Liked by: sphinx

6. #6 | 2039420
    BC Member

JUL

nicknotnicked
    Oh dear, more deaths due to so called "legal highs"...Isn't it about time to sort the wheat from the chaff?
    I don't know why you used the words "so called", legal highs are exactly what they say.

The problem is that a lot of legal highs are new drugs that have just been developed and are not illegal yet. Something has to be known about by the authorities before it can be made illegal and I'm not sure what the solution to that is.
    "Oh great a female Doctor Who. What next? Female real doctors? Female pilots? Female scientists? Female sisters and mothers? Female WOMEN?!" (Mark Hoppus, Blink 182)

7. #7 | 2039422
    Important Staff Person
    BC Team
    South Africa

JUL

Is alcohol considered to be a 'legal high'?

If not, then why not?

I bet more people die from ingesting alcohol than from other legal obnoxious stuff.
    I do not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

8. #8 | 2039442
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUL

sphinx
    Is alcohol considered to be a 'legal high'?

If not, then why not?

I bet more people die from ingesting alcohol than from other legal obnoxious stuff.
    I don't know if there's an actual definition. It seems to be a term for recreational drugs which are disapproved of but not illegal. Disapproval is of course subjective: If the government makes money on it, it's fine and therefore not included.

You can get high on alcohol and it's legal so if we take it literally then yes, obviously, but I rather suspect those who coined the term are drinkers who meant it to be derogatory and applied only to people they regard as improper.

(Not to be construed as a blanket approval on my part... I'm biased in favour of my own vices, but probably not Cali's)
    Liked by: sphinx

9. #9 | 2039474
    an enemy of the status
    Vatican City State

JUL

I can't really recommend any kind of intoxicant chronic long term, but there is nothing wrong with dabbling.
    Through the glass, dim and foggy, the blunt muzzle of some beast looked at me, its yellow eyes insistently repeating one and the same thought, incomprehensible to me. We looked each other in the eye for a long time - through those shafts connecting the surface world to that other beneath the surface.

"I am in blood Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er"

You better look before you leap, still waters run deep,
    And there won't always be someone there to pull you out,
    And you know what I'm talkin' about.

10. #10 | 2039502
    Trump the traitor
    Indonesia

JUL

I have a great legal high - It's called "being happy", requires no dealers, no chemical messing around, no lung cancer and nothing else past being nice to people.
    Going at stupid speeds on large motorbikes and parachuting is a bonus, but you can also get a opiate rush from full contact martial arts and very spicy curries.
    Trump is shagged - Hades will welcome him.

Thread Information