Started by sphinx, 18th May 2017 22:25 in Science & Astronomy

1. #1 | 2031215
    Important Staff Person
    BC Team
    South Africa

MAY

Default Dyson Sphere

Nothing to do with vacuum cleaners.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be possible? Or has it already been possible?...and what would be the point of creating it artificially? (If that were possible.)
    Need Mem for this really....but as he is out of action for a while, that is not going to happen....

Maybe Mem should employ a secretary to read BC forems for him, and post under his directions.
    Liked by: Scrotnig

2. #2 | 2031218
    BC Member
    Wales

MAY

Default Re: Dyson Sphere

What is it?
    The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty.
    Mother Teresa

3. #3 | 2031219
    only here in spirit *hic*
    United Kingdom

MAY

sphinx
    sphinx said:

Any thoughts on this? Would it be possible? Or has it already been possible?...and what would be the point of creating it artificially? (If that were possible.)
    Need Mem for this really....but as he is out of action for a while, that is not going to happen....

Maybe Mem should employ a secretary to read BC forems for him, and post under his directions.
    It's a fascinating idea. But even if built around a less powerful Star than ours, we are still talking about building a Spherical structure, around the diameter equivalent to the orbit of a planet around our sun... I suppose one obstacle (Building it is a big enough one !) is protection from Solar radiation, but there would be constant Solar Radiation... and constant days as well.

..and I haven't used Google. It's featured in the Star Trek TNG episode "Relics", a particular favourite of mine, as it includes James Doohan in it, AKA "Scottie" from the original series.
    hmmmmmmm something

The ball's rolling but the hamster's dead.

Yo Fucknuts, it's probing time !
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, sphinx

4. #4 | 2031230
    Smiter of the high and mighty.
    Google it.
    England

MAY

Hester
    Hester said:
    What is it?
    They're showing off again.
    Touch of honesty, I can look at schoolgirls of that age that I don't know, and like any honest male, fancy the pants off them." -Fork Me.
    Liked by: sphinx

5. #5 | 2031479
    Just an allusion
    England

MAY

sphinx
    sphinx said:

You watched this week's Horizon, didn't you.

I only know because I watched it on catchup last night. Some of the numbers involved were so big my brain nearly exploded.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

6. #6 | 2031480
    Just an allusion
    England

MAY

Not sure they explained why it is called Dyson Sphere, unless I was making a cup of tea at that point.
    Amusing smilies aside, you ought to realise that beneath what may sometimes appear to be banter, I do in fact despise you. Don't be flattered, my contempt is free to all lefties who support the indoctrination of children. ~ Memnoch, Dec 2014.

7. #7 | 2031491
    BC Member
    England

MAY

Its a physical material sphere constructed around a star so that an advanced civilization can utilize all the energy given out by that star, the improbable project would be mind boggling but maybe not to some civilization millennia in front of ours.(not googled ) I think Dyson was either a science fiction writer or a theoretical physicist. Google that Name if wished, but beware of the wrath of the poster that derides anyone who does so
    Liked by: Plutonium, Scrotnig, sphinx

8. #8 | 2031495
    Anti-extremist
    St Lucia

MAY

john barnes
    john barnes said:
    Its a physical material sphere constructed around a star so that an advanced civilization can utilize all the energy given out by that star, the improbable project would be mind boggling but maybe not to some civilization millennia in front of ours.(not googled ) I think Dyson was either a science fiction writer or a theoretical physicist. Google that Name if wished, but beware of the wrath of the poster that derides anyone who does so
    Don't worry, John, it's only me who isn't allowed to use Google. Everyone else uses it all the time with no adverse comment.
    Freedom gives you and me the right to say what we want.
    If I don't like what you say, I'll still defend your right to say it.
    If you don't like what I say, then move on to something else.

Ignore list: fake 'lords'

9. #9 | 2031672
    I don't care
    BC Team

MAY

I too would like to know what this actually is...in layman's terms, since it's well known I'm pretty thick....
    VOTE LABOUR
    Kick the corrupt Tories out

10. #10 | 2031676
    BC Member

MAY

Scrotnig
    Scrotnig said:
    I too would like to know what this actually is...in layman's terms, since it's well known I'm pretty thick....
    It's baically a hollow ball built round a star, so big thst it's in the habitable zone. In the theory people could live on the internal surface.

Can't see it being feasible myself.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell, Hester

Thread Information