The Philosophy of getting wild
Started by Nice Fred, 2nd September 2018 01:43 in Religion & Philosophy

1. #1 | 2087861
    Say nice things

SEP

Default The Philosophy of getting wild

I don't think Pythagoras had this subject in mind all those years ago when he pondered philosophy, but what do you think about the philosophy of getting wild?

Most people live a "married, 2.4 kids, retirement, death" sort of life that's essentially wasted as far as either hedonism or crazy goes, and I see that stuff as a crime against yourself.

I started doing 'normal' but that only lasted until I discovered large motorbikes and rock music, that moving on to a career as a party DJ (expanded to all sorts of entertainment related stuff over the years).
    I did all sorts of crazy shit, mostly not coming to much or having any meaning, then settled down to developing a business that took all my time and drained much fun from life.

My many contacts with Chinese girls reignited a wild gene that must have gone dormant, that awakening leading to my first trip to Malaysia.
    I had absolutely no clue where that was going to go but it finished up with me buying a house in a small Indonesian village and moving here permanently.

I, like a twit, took a real job and did eight years of being mostly respectable, but that wild gene kicked in again, this time leading me to walk out of work one morning, move house, and move life. I even changed my telephone numbers.

Now it looks as if I'm working again, this time travelling all over Indonesia doing strange, weird, and odd stuff for an NGO.
    There's lots of actual serious work involved but I'll be in a new place every week so I can do 'wild' and still hold down a respectable job.

Anyway, I digress, what do you think of a wild life, is it something you wish you'd done, or do you feel you're too old to up sticks and retire to Vietnam or where ever?

Other than that, do you have to be as mad as a spoon to do wild stuff like disappear from normal and move to crazy?
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy

2. #2 | 2087863
    BC Member
    Ireland

SEP

Default Re: The Philosophy of getting wild

Interesting post, Fred. I do not believe that one is ever too old to do anything - wild or otherwise.
    I left full time school with all the necessary high grades to take me to University - but my parents did not believe in educating girls to that extent - so I was not allowed to go. Was pushed into a fairly mundane, boring job - but - I determined that I would continue my education and would learn something new every year. I have achieved/am still achieving that. Sometimes it has been arty stuff - calligraphy, card making etc., sometimes it has been physical - Judo, self defence, climbing, volunteering to work with the local Wild Life and Conservation trust. Mostly it has been academic -medicine, herbology, clinical sciences. etc., Last year it was Forensic Psychology, this year it is Meteorology. Was proud to receive my BSc Honours degree even if it did take a while to achieve. May not seem as 'wild' or exciting as what you have done/are still doing - but it suits me. I firmly believe there is nothing I cannot do - many things still to learn, many that I would not want to learn - but nothing that I cannot do.

Age should never be an excuse for not doing something. Good luck with your new venture.

Stay on the green side of the grass!
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2087884
    Sajid Javid for PM
    St Lucia

SEP

Does torturing and killing animals come under under your definition of "being wild", Fred?

Just askin'.
    I offered, he unilaterally changed the terms of the offer at short notice, I declined the changes, and he's been w**king over it ever since.

4. #4 | 2087886
    WHAT !!!

SEP

Plutonium
    Does torturing and killing animals come under under your definition of "being wild", Fred?

Just askin'.
    How very 'last week' of you.
    Growing in eternal lines to time

5. #5 | 2087972
    Fluffed out
    England

SEP

Great post, Fred, and good for you! I don't think anyone's ever too old to change their lives (unless they're too frail to be independent) - the author Mary Wesley didn't start writing until she was 71, then rattled off 11 books, including The Camomile Lawn.

I love travelling, but I love coming home too, so can't see myself upping sticks and leaving, and I'm very content with my life currently. I think some of us have that "wild gene", and some of us don't - I'm probably in the latter category, although I'm full of admiration for those who do just go for it.
    Liked by: Luna, sphinx

6. #6 | 2088066
    BC Member
    Ireland

SEP

Growing old may not always be comfortable but it beats the alternative !

7. #7 | 2088098
    WHAT !!!

SEP

I'm waiting for a train to Jakarta that has the potential to change my life.
    The job, if it happens, is a schoolboy's dream come true.
    ... and it has wild aspects after the travelling.
    If not, I'm a professional lazy git with a burst bubble.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

8. #8 | 2088099
    WHAT !!!

SEP

PS. 56

9. #9 | 2088100
    WHAT !!!

SEP

PS. 56 and my left knee is a bit buggered after a rugby tackle that went bad when I was 15.
    The tae kwon do didn't help the injury but it was fun.

10. #10 | 2088107
    Sajid Javid for PM
    St Lucia

SEP

kokasucky
    How very 'last week' of you.
    There is nothing 'last week' about the revolting activities you indulge in, you piece of shit.
    I offered, he unilaterally changed the terms of the offer at short notice, I declined the changes, and he's been w**king over it ever since.

Thread Information