Should Everyone be forced by Law to Vote?
Started by Bill. MC, 11th April 2019 23:26 in Serious Discussion

1. #1 | 2111384
    The Forum Idiot
    United Kingdom

APR

Default Should Everyone be forced by Law to Vote?

It must only be on a forem such as BC that people will debate on whether fat or thick people should have the right to vote. Most discussions of voting rights deal with the issues of voting age and whether everyone entitled to vote actualy does vote. This is no surprise considering the fact that very seldom do more than 40% of the electorate actualy bother to vote.

2. #2 | 2111422
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

APR

Default Re: Should Everyone be forced by Law to Vote?

I believe they have that Law in Australia.

I have always liked the way the Australians keep themselves Sorted.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

3. #3 | 2111756
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

APR

I started the thread on "should thick people be allowed to vote", it was largely a tongue in cheek response to the thread on "should fat people be allowed to vote". The basic principal which was fought for by our forefathers is one person, one vote. Over the years I've seen various people on the Internet saying such-and-such shouldn't have the vote, but the basic principle of OPOV is not seriously in question.

Should voting be compulsory? I know it is compulsory in Australia, the principle being men died in the last war for democracy and against totalitarianism, so people should in exchange vote. If it is compulsory, then there should be a box on the ballot paper for "None of the above". There is also a problem with groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses who do not vote on principle.

4. #4 | 2111757
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

APR

Incidentally, turnout in general elections has been falling but is well above 40%. It was 68.8% in the last general election. It tends to be lower in local and other elections.

If vote is made compulsory, then polling day should be moved to the weekend. It is generally Saturday and Sunday in most countries, and I have never understood while it needs to be Thursday here, so working people struggle to get to the polls.

Also if voting is made compulsory, then we should switch to Proportional Representation so that every vote actually counts.

5. #5 | 2111762
    BC Member
    Ireland

APR

If voting becomes compulsory - then it should also be compulsory to give us someone worth voting for!
    Liked by: Bill. MC, sphinx

6. #6 | 2111766
    Second wife required

APR

Yes.
    I'm a low educated, total guttersnipe, dim witted moron.

7. #7 | 2111772
    Keep hope alive
    St Lucia

APR

Luna
    If voting becomes compulsory - then it should also be compulsory to give us someone worth voting for!
    Whether there is someone worth voting for, depends on your viewpoint. But as I said, there should be a "None of the Above" box on the ballot paper.

8. #8 | 2111824
    Fluffed out
    England

APR

Can't see it ever happening - any party proposing fining people for not doing something would become very unpopular and would probably not win an election.

I think the best way of improving turnout would be to turn it into a lottery. You turn up at the polling station and are given a voting slip and a lottery ticket, with a few prizes of a million quid. Carrot rather than stick.
    Liked by: bill jarvis, Luna, Plutonium

9. #9 | 2111831
    BC Member
    England

APR

No, if they want more to vote they should pay us to vote, I think about 200 a time should do.
    Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn!!!

10. #10 | 2111833
    3X3 Triad Writer
    Isle of Man

APR

Luna
    Then Vote for the Green Party. I think that when there are no other Good Alternatives, then throwing a Vote at the Green Party is as good as you can get.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

Thread Information