Does This Country need Religion?
Started by parsonstreet, 7th November 2018 19:33 in Religion & Philosophy

1. #1 | 2093484
    here
    Wales

NOV

Default Does This Country need Religion?

Or your country.

In any way shape or form?

What do you think of Peter Hitchen's assertion that the Anglican Churches support for the First World War was the beginning of its end?

The Tendrils of insanity
    History in the crunching of dead leaves
    The ghost of a tyrant Knight
    Haunting the architecture

2. #2 | 2093485
    Buy a poppy

NOV

Default Re: Does This Country need Religion?

I would say so.

The drug epidemic is a massive problem, something you don't usually see in religious countries (The Philippines being a massive exception but their leader has looked after a lot of that problem)

Sex toys on sale in supermarkets says a lot about the moral state of a country

Massive crime is a serious problem for the UK, something most religious countries don't suffer from

STDs are far less common in countries where religion is string

Unmarried mothers with untamed kids are a serious problem in the UK, something far less common in book religion countries.

The Philippines buck all of the above, but most religious countries do not. That isn't to claim some or all of the above never happen in religious countries, just the levels are far lower in most.
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy
    Liked by: sphinx

3. #3 | 2093491
    Fluffed out
    England

NOV

Nice Fred
    I would say so.

The drug epidemic is a massive problem, something you don't usually see in religious countries (The Philippines being a massive exception but their leader has looked after a lot of that problem)

Sex toys on sale in supermarkets says a lot about the moral state of a country

Massive crime is a serious problem for the UK, something most religious countries don't suffer from

STDs are far less common in countries where religion is string

Unmarried mothers with untamed kids are a serious problem in the UK, something far less common in book religion countries.

The Philippines buck all of the above, but most religious countries do not. That isn't to claim some or all of the above never happen in religious countries, just the levels are far lower in most.
    Depends. In a lot of Muslim countries cannabis is illegal but widely used, because alcohol is illegal. STDs and unmarried mothers are actually higher in the "Bible Belt" of the US than in the less religious areas. And of course in some religious countries, a blind eye is turned to paedophilia - whether that's "beardless boys" in Iran being more or less acceptable as a sexual outlet, or older men marrying 12 year olds in Franco's deeply religious Spain (where it was perfectly legal).
    Liked by: sphinx

4. #4 | 2093498
    BC Member
    United Kingdom

NOV

Chris Mitchell
    DAnd of course in some religious countries, a blind eye is turned to paedophilia - whether that's "beardless boys" in Iran being more or less acceptable as a sexual outlet, or older men marrying 12 year olds in Franco's deeply religious Spain (where it was perfectly legal).
    You forgot to mention the Roman Catholic Church.

5. #5 | 2093508
    Fluffed out
    England

NOV

Bill. MC
    You forgot to mention the Roman Catholic Church.
    Well, I know the Catholics are a bit upset at the moment - they always are after the anti-Catholic frenzy of Guy Fawkes night - but it was implied by my mention of Spain
    Liked by: Bill. MC

6. #6 | 2093606
    here
    Wales

NOV

Nice Fred

What statistics are you basing this on? You haven't presented any statistics to justify your claims.

Also I don't know what you are classing as a religious country. Are you meaning a theocracy with a dictatorship?

Most of South and Central America is religious and they have serious crime problems and drug wars.

Syria is mainly Muslim and has a brutal civil war going on. Egypt has a higher murder rate than the UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate and a terrorism problem. Pakistan had 8,516 in 2016.

I would say in Places like Iran and Saudi Arabia the regime itself is criminal and is oppressing and persecuting people. Also customs like forced marriage and child marriage are legal but abusive.

Most Africans are religious and their countries have some of the highest murder rates.

Nevertheless regardless of overall crime statistics I don't think you can be religious if you do not believe it

and when people have a real choice to abandon religion that is a common choice. I didn't think we can rely on religious fear to create a fair society but their are possibly attributes some have that could be mimicked.
    The Tendrils of insanity
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

7. #7 | 2093607
    here
    Wales

NOV

Chris Mitchell
    Well, I know the Catholics are a bit upset at the moment - they always are after the anti-Catholic frenzy of Guy Fawkes night - but it was implied by my mention of Spain
    The Catholics have been quite good at covering up crime and then apologizing for it years or centuries later.

Maybe we need more politicians to apologise though..
    The Tendrils of insanity

8. #8 | 2093617
    Giving Quinn TLC
    Isle of Man

NOV

parsonstreet
    Or your country.

In any way shape or form?

What do you think of Peter Hitchen's assertion that the Anglican Churches support for the First World War was the beginning of its end?

John Lennon addressed this Issue with his Song 'Imagine'.

But Humanity has to Pay Respects to Nature in some way shape or form.

Whatever Form you Choose to do so it up to You so long as You Do Not Harm.

3X3
    The More People I Have Known,
    The More I Loved My TwoWhiteSocks.

9. #9 | 2093623
    Buy a poppy

NOV

parsonstreet
    Syria is mainly Muslim and has a brutal civil war going on.
    I would say in Places like Iran and Saudi Arabia the regime itself is criminal and is oppressing and persecuting people.
    Odd you should choose countries where America started wars and/or are pals with the dictators in power there.
    Always remember to be kind, bright, and happy

10. #10 | 2093624
    BC Member
    Cyprus

NOV

Saw this great dialogue on a US saite the other day:

Poster 1: We wouldn't have all these school shootings if God was allowed in schools.
    Poster 2: God's allowed in church, why didn't he stop priests abusing boys?
    Scrotnig is a rightard. 100% true.

Thread Information