Heavy rain all day
Started by Scrotnig, 11th June 2019 20:58 in Serious Discussion

1. #1 | 2120286
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Default Heavy rain all day

All this heavy rain...it is the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Note that last summer the distinct LACK of rain was ALSO the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Does global warming cause too much rain, or too little? You decide!
    Liked by: Luna

2. #2 | 2120287
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Default Re: Heavy rain all day

Scrotnig
    All this heavy rain...it is the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Note that last summer the distinct LACK of rain was ALSO the fault of global warming, according to lefties.

Does global warming cause too much rain, or too little? You decide!
    Don't care. The anti plastic crusade is one I have far more sympathy for. The climate will change no matter what we do and even if it kills us the planet will recover just as it has done many times after climate-induced extinctions, but the crap we're pumping into the soil and the sea will be there long after we're gone. Future archaeologists - descended from dragonflies perhaps - will teach their children about these weird mammals that used to roam the Earth shitting petroleum based polymers.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

3. #3 | 2120288
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Memnoch
    Don't care. The anti plastic crusade is one I have far more sympathy for. The climate will change no matter what we do and even if it kills us the planet will recover just as it has done many times after climate-induced extinctions, but the crap we're pumping into the soil and the sea will be there long after we're gone. Future archaeologists - descended from dragonflies perhaps - will teach their children about these weird mammals that used to roam the Earth shitting petroleum based polymers.
    I don't disagree, but as usual, the lefties' answer is to ban things and penalise ordinary people who are not the cause.

Dire threats of punitive taxes on packaging etc...hey, *I* don't decide what the food producers and suchlike pack stuff in. Go and tax THEM, not me.

4. #4 | 2120294
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    I don't disagree, but as usual, the lefties' answer is to ban things and penalise ordinary people who are not the cause.

Dire threats of punitive taxes on packaging etc...hey, *I* don't decide what the food producers and suchlike pack stuff in. Go and tax THEM, not me.
    That's not the answer because they'll just pass the cost on to the consumer. That's why in this instance banning IS the right thing to do IMO. With the exceptions of some medical and electrical applications, almost everything currently done by plastic can be done by paper, glass and metal, which are all completely recyclable. The trouble is recycling is often prohibitively expensive and in the case of plastics causes at least as much pollution as creating them in the first place. Most of what you put in your recycling bin therefore ends up in the landfill and I happen to know that my local council does not separate anything except large pieces of glass... the rest, including all metal and plastic, goes to landfill. And even those local authorities that do try to do it properly... how does the general waste get to the landfill? In plastic bags. DUH!
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: Chris Mitchell

5. #5 | 2120299
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Memnoch
    That's not the answer because they'll just pass the cost on to the consumer. That's why in this instance banning IS the right thing to do IMO. With the exceptions of some medical and electrical applications, almost everything currently done by plastic can be done by paper, glass and metal, which are all completely recyclable. The trouble is recycling is often prohibitively expensive and in the case of plastics causes at least as much pollution as creating them in the first place. Most of what you put in your recycling bin therefore ends up in the landfill and I happen to know that my local council does not separate anything except large pieces of glass... the rest, including all metal and plastic, goes to landfill. And even those local authorities that do try to do it properly... how does the general waste get to the landfill? In plastic bags. DUH!
    If I could trust the government and local councils not to abuse this, I'd agree.

I'm opposed by default to making more and more things illegal, because this government and its predecessors seem obsessed with taking seemingly innocuous, harmless laws and using them to tyrannise ordinary people.

See, for example, anti-terror legislation. Who could be opposed to that? Except that it got used to put spy cameras in wheelie bins and put families under 24/7 surveillance for trying to get their children into a better school.

So if you ban plastics you will find councils immediately employing armies of 'plastic usage enforcement officers', with powers to inspect people's homes and issue fixed penalty notices.

No thanks!

6. #6 | 2120317
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    If I could trust the government and local councils not to abuse this, I'd agree.

I'm opposed by default to making more and more things illegal, because this government and its predecessors seem obsessed with taking seemingly innocuous, harmless laws and using them to tyrannise ordinary people.

See, for example, anti-terror legislation. Who could be opposed to that? Except that it got used to put spy cameras in wheelie bins and put families under 24/7 surveillance for trying to get their children into a better school.

So if you ban plastics you will find councils immediately employing armies of 'plastic usage enforcement officers', with powers to inspect people's homes and issue fixed penalty notices.

No thanks!
    Governments are replaceable. The Earth isn't.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.
    Liked by: LadyLush

7. #7 | 2120318
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

Memnoch
    Governments are replaceable. The Earth isn't.
    Nothing catastrophic is likely to happen for at least the next 50 years and to be honest, my interest wanes considerably after that.

8. #8 | 2120319
    Fat, old hippy

JUN

Scrotnig
    Nothing catastrophic is likely to happen for at least the next 50 years and to be honest, my interest wanes considerably after that.
    Can you make an effort? Some of us have put considerable work into making humans that deserve to inherit a space not built on single use plastics. It ainít gonna kill you to lay off the plastic stuff, itís quite liberating and putting shopping away is way quicker. You might as well do it now.

9. #9 | 2120320
    Independent
    United Kingdom

JUN

Scrotnig
    Nothing catastrophic is likely to happen for at least the next 50 years.
    Tell that to a turtle who swallowed a shopping bag or a bubble wrap or a condom because he thought it was a jellyfish.
    YOU LOST. AGAIN.

10. #10 | 2120324
    BC Member
    BC Team

JUN

LadyLush
    Can you make an effort? Some of us have put considerable work into making humans that deserve to inherit a space not built on single use plastics. It ain’t gonna kill you to lay off the plastic stuff, it’s quite liberating and putting shopping away is way quicker. You might as well do it now.
    I've been reusing carrier bags for years now.

Plastic straws I'll give up once someone makes an alternative that isn't shit. Then again I didn't use them often anyhow. I've taken to keeping the plastic straws I do have and rinsing them for use by me another time. So howzat?

I don't mind doing most of this stuff, I do resent being told by jobsworths in government that I'll be prosecuted if I don't, meanwhile people get beaten up, stabbed and burgled and nobody gives a shit.

Mutter,
    Scrotnig

Thread Information