The Fork Me 10" vinyl collection thread

1. 4127
    Scrotnig is a rightard nutjob and an out and out liar ✅
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    This thread will be much shorter as I don't have any old 78s so these are mainly limited editions from the 70s and onwards.

Anyway, let's begin.

The Breeders - Divine Hammer
    (10" EP, 4AD, 1993, BADD 3017, Ltd Edition)

A1 Divine Hammer
    A2 Hoverin'
    B1 I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)
    B2 Do You Love Me Now Jr?

See? I said it'd be shorter, we're on B already.

The Breeders were put together by Kim Deal (from The Pixies) and Tanya Donnelly (from Throwing Muses) in 1988. The two bands were touring together but neither had immediate plans. Kim had been writing some new material not suitable for the Pixies and they decided to form a new side project together without disrupting either of their two current bands. The Breeders were born (crap pun intended).

The first album, Pod was produced by Steve Albini who has stated that he thinks it's one of the best records he had anything to do with, Kurt Cobain cited it as one of his main influences when forming Nirvana. High praise indeed.

This was the second single from the second album (no singles were released from Pod), and their second hit (their first, Cannonball, appeared in the other thread). It wasn;t as big a hit in the clubs as Cannonball, but personally, I like it.

You get to see them talk to Conan O'Brien as well in this video, you may notice that the second guitarist doesn't play much and when she does it's not difficult stuff, she's actually Kelley Deal, Kim's identical twin sister, Tanya Donelly had left to form Belly and Kelley joined the band in her place, even though she couldn't play guitar! She had to learn quickly. (She is now an accomplished guitarist).

Join BC Forums To Reply Join BC Forums To Reply
  2. 4128
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    The Breeders - Head To Toe
    (10" EP, 4AD, 1994, BADD 4012)

A1 Head To Toe
    A2 Shocker In Gloomtown
    B1 Freed Pig
    B2 Saints

None of these tracks appeared on any albums, this was released as a stand alone EP between the second and third albums. Unusually for 1994, it was a vinyl only release, AFAIK, none of these tracks have been released on CD even today.

It's not as good IMO, it did chart, but very low and didn't recieve much attention.

3. 4129
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    Cracker - Get Off This
    (10" EP, Virgin Records America, 1994, VUSA 83)

A1 Get Off This
    A2 Steve's Hornpipe
    B1 Mr Wrong
    B2 I Want Everything (Acoustic demo)

Cracker were an American rock band who I know very little about. This is all I have, and it's a cracking track (see what I did there?)

4. 4130
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    The Damned - Anything
    (10" EP, MCA, 1986, Yellow vinyl)

A1 Anything (Yet Another Mix)
    A2 Anything (Instrumental)
    B1 Anything (And Yet Another Mix)
    B2 The Year Of The Jackal

The Damned had the dubious distinction of being the first British band to release a punk record, they also were the fiirst British punk band to hit the charts. They formed in 1976, and their second gig was supporting the Sex Pistols at the infamous 100 Club. After a disastrous second album produced by Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, they split in 1978.

They reformed in 1979 and started playing a gloomier style of music that would later be referred to as goth, although they gradually became more commercial culminating in a number 3 hit in 1986 with Eloise. They failed to follow this though and the next album, Anything, which this single is from flopped. After a few minor hit singles they split again in 1988. They've split and reformed several times since. A few years ago there were two versions of the band touring, one led by Rat Scabies, and one by Captain Sensible. There is a version of the Damned active at the moment containing mostly original members. After a long career they played their first ever gigs in South America last year.

5. 4131
    Bouncy fault finder
    United Kingdom
    MAY
    Just in case you're wondering, yes this is being read.

So far, I've heard of The Damned and The Breeders, but not Cracker.

Please, do carry on.

6. 4132
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    Fairy_Nuff
    Just in case you're wondering, yes this is being read.

So far, I've heard of The Damned and The Breeders, but not Cracker.

Please, do carry on.

I don't think there will be anything too obscure in this thread, when we get to the 7" one though...
  7. 4133
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    The Darling Buds - Hit The Ground
    (10" EP, Epic, 1989, BLOND X2, Ltd Ed)

A1 Hit The Ground
    A2 Pretty Girl
    B1 You've Got To Choose (Live)
    B2 When It Feels Good (Live)

I saw the Buds live in Sunderland, today's YouTube has them saying they played a gig in Sunderland the day before, looking at the date I think that was the gig I was at. Sweet.

A lot of people at the time accused the Buds of being a Primitives copycat band, but in fact the two bands emerged independently at around the same time, indeed, the Buds first single came out before the Primitives, the Primitives just got known first.

This is an awesome track.

8. 4137
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    Die Toten Hosen - The Nightmare Continues EP
    (10" EP, Virgin, 1992, DINSA 115, Red vinyl)

A1 Do Anything You Wanna Do (with Graeme Douglas of Eddie And The Hot Rods)
    A2 Whole Wide World (with Wreckless Eric)
    B1 If The Kids Are United (with Jimmy Pursey of Sham 69)
    B2 Baby Baby (with Knox of The Vibrators)

Die Toten Hosen (literal translation: The Dead Trousers) are probably the biggest German punk band, in Germany they are MASSIVE and have been for a long long time. Most of their tracks are in German which is probably why they haven't travelled well. This EP is made up of covers, but each has a member of the original band with them for this recording, in the cases of A1 and B2 a guitarist, and on A2 and B1 the vocalist.

They formed in 1982 and have never split up and the band still contains 3 of the original 5 members.

9. 4138
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    Dinosaur Jr - Fossils
    (10" mini LP, SST, 1991, SST 925, Red vinyl)

A1 Little Fury Things
    A2 In A Jar
    A3 Show Me The Way
    B1 Freak Scene
    B2 Keep The Glove
    B3 Just Like Heaven
    B4 Throw Down
    B5 Chunks

Dinosaur Jr didn't appear in the other thread, which is a shame, they're a great band. They formed in 1984 and it took them a long time to find fame. Their first album didn't sell well and their break came when Sonic Youth invited them to tour with them in 1986. The second album, You're Living All Over Me got more noticed but led to them being sued over their name (then just Dinosaur) by a band that had already been around a long time, thus the Jr added on the end. Freak Scene came out in 1988 and got them known in the UK and the next album Bug was much more successful. Tensions in the band led to bassist Lou Barlow leaving with no permanent replacement. They got a major label deal in 1990, and despite a peak of popularity in the early 90s (when the alternative rock scene finally caught up with what they'd already been doing for years) they split in 1997. The original lineup reformed in 2005.

This album is a cash in on some of their earlier material, some from their second and third albums and somejust released on single. Just Like Heaven is a cover of the Cure track.

10. 4142
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    MAY
    Eurythmics - I Need A Man
    (10" EP, RCA, 1988, DA 15 X)

A1 I Need A Man
    A2 I Need You
    B1 There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) (Live Version)
    B2 Missionary Man (Live Version)

Eurythmics did appear in the other thread, this came out after their biggest hits but still got a lot of airplay. After their huge mid 80s hits, they changed direction with 1986's Reveng album, which was a lot more guitar based. It was mainly a Dave Stewart work. !988's Savage, which this comes from was mainly Annie Lennox' work and as a result was more keyboard and drum machine oriented. Savage flopped in the US but went top 10 in the UK, where this single was also a big hit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last >>

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •