The Fork Me 12" vinyl collection thread

1. 1442
    Scrotnig is a rightard nutjob and an out and out liar ✅
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    This is a thread where I list all my 12 inch vinyl for your delectation.

The plan is, one record a day, by alphabetical order of artiste, until I get bored. At that rate, if I DON'T get bored, this thread will last for several years (fortunately, I'm not listing CDs, 7"s or 10"s otherwise it would run for 2 or 3 decades).

My collection is known mainly for it's diversity. I started record collecting before I even went to school (in fact I learned to read before I started school just so I could read the record sleeves) and still have some of the very first records I bought, some of which will appear in this thread, but most of which were singles). The nucleus of my collection back then was a pile of 60s 7"s that a DJ friend of my father gave me just before my 3rd birthday, along with one of those "record players in a box" you used to get. I still have most of those singles as well, and they're still playable. I was careful with my records even back then!

As I grew older, into my teens I became an avid collector, even them my musical tastes were diverse. Aged 20 I got my first club DJ spot and started buying records for nights I did as well as stuff I wanted for myself. At one point, I was DJing a hip-hop night on Mondays, a student party night on Tuesdays, a 70s and 80s night on Thursdays, an alternative club (punk, metal, ska, new wave, goth and indie) on Fridays and a dance club on Saturdays. Way to not get bored playing the same stuff al the time! I've also played "retro glam" nights, retro ska/mod skinhead nights, 50s rock 'n' roll nights and a whole host of others.

OK, here we go then, all replies are welcome, although may be ignored, depending on their quality and my mood at the time.

OK, here we go, today's entry:
    Join BC Forums To Reply Join BC Forums To Reply
  2. 1443
    BC Member
    England
    SEP
    Fork Me
    OK, here we go, today's entry:

Riveting.
  3. 1444
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    Aaliyah - (At Your Best) You Are Love
    (12" EP, Jive records, 1994, JIVE T 359)

A1 Gangster Child remix
    A2 Stepper's Ball remix
    A3 LP mix
    B1 UK Flavour Stepper's mix
    B2 UK Flavour

Aaliyah was an American soul singer (these days she'd be called RnB, but back in '94 that term was still reserved for proper 40s and 50s RnB).

Talent wise, I'd say she was OK, not the best, but made a good sound. She had moderate success while she was alive, with a few top 10 hits in the States, but became massively over rated and over hyped when she died, tragically young, aged 22, in 2001 in a plane crash over the Bahamas.

This was one of her better tracks.

4. 1445
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    Abba - Greatest Hits Vol. 2
    (LP, Epic, 1979, EPC 10017)

A1 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    A2 Knowing Me, Knowing You
    A3 Take A Chance On Me
    A4 Money, Money, Money
    A5 Rock Me
    A6 Eagle
    A7 Angeleyes
    B1 Dancing Queen
    B2 Does Your Mother Know
    B3 Chiquitita
    B4 Summer Night City
    B5 I Wonder (Departure)
    B6 The Name Of The Game
    B7 Thank You For The Music

Like 'em or loath 'em, Abba were a phenomenon. They actually got their big break in my home town. Already big in Sweden, but almost unheard of elsewhere, they won the Eurovision Song Contest at the Brighton Dome in 1974. THey were so big in their home country that at one point the Swedish singles chart had a limit on how long you could be at number one, because otherwise Abba were ALWAYS there.

5. 1446
    BC Member
    England
    SEP
    Fork Me
    Abba - Greatest Hits Vol. 2

(LP, Epic, 1979, EPC 10017)

A1 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    A2 Knowing Me, Knowing You
    A3 Take A Chance On Me
    A4 Money, Money, Money
    A5 Rock Me
    A6 Eagle
    A7 Angeleyes
    B1 Dancing Queen
    B2 Does Your Mother Know
    B3 Chiquitita
    B4 Summer Night City
    B5 I Wonder (Departure)
    B6 The Name Of The Game
    B7 Thank You For The Music

Like 'em or loath 'em, Abba were a phenomenon. They actually got their big break in my home town. Already big in Sweden, but almost unheard of elsewhere, they won the Eurovision Song Contest at the Brighton Dome in 1974. THey were so big in their home country that at one point the Swedish singles chart had a limit on how long you could be at number one, because otherwise Abba were ALWAYS there.

Fork Me
    I'm sure I read once that around 1974 ABBA overtook Volvo to become Sweden's biggest export.
  6. 1447
    BC Member
    Wallis & Futuna
    SEP
    Abba own. Although I dismissed them at the time (bland pop band), the passage of time has given me a better insight into them.

In some respects they were a "supergroup", all four band members were famous in their own rights before they joined together. Bjorn and Benny's talent for a writing a catchy hook in a foreign language never ceases to impress. And of course, those two girls, with their superb voices, perfectly harmonising.

In 100 years time, Abba will still be admired and played. They are the "new" pop classics of our time.
  7. 1448
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    Sock Puppet
    Abba own. Although I dismissed them at the time (bland pop band), the passage of time has given me a better insight into them.

In some respects they were a "supergroup", all four band members were famous in their own rights before they joined together. Bjorn and Benny's talent for a writing a catchy hook in a foreign language never ceases to impress. And of course, those two girls, with their superb voices, perfectly harmonising.

In 100 years time, Abba will still be admired and played. They are the "new" pop classics of our time.
    Quite, I went to the Reading Festival the year Nirvana headlined and Bjorn Again (the only Abba tribute that Abba themselves have praised) were on the main stage on the same day. (Kurt made lots of weird demands to be met before Nirvana agreed to do it, Bjorn Again playing was one of them!).

They went down a storm with the Reading crowd, despite being completely out of genre!

Fork Me
  8. 1449
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    George
    I'm sure I read once that around 1974 ABBA overtook Volvo to become Sweden's biggest export.
    It wouldn't surprise me, they were the band, pretty much worldwide, for a number of years.

Fork Me
  9. 1450
    BC Member
    Wallis & Futuna
    SEP
    Fork Me
    Quite, I went to the Reading Festival the year Nirvana headlined and Bjorn Again (the only Abba tribute that Abba themselves have praised) were on the main stage on the same day. (Kurt made lots of weird demands to be met before Nirvana agreed to do it, Bjorn Again playing was one of them!).

They went down a storm with the Reading crowd, despite being completely out of genre!

Fork Me
    Quality will out, that's the bottom line.

I sorted out my 7" collection last weekend, wondering which I could bear to mutilate to put on my jukebox. I was amazed to find that I actually have most of Abba's hits on single. Despite not liking them. I probably bought them when I was DJing, for weddings and shit.
  10. 1451
    BC Team
    Cyprus
    SEP
    Accept - Kaizoku-Ban
    (LP, Portrait, 1985, PRT 54918)

A1 Metal Heart
    A2 Screaming For A Love Bite
    A3 Up To The Limit
    B1 Head Over Heels
    B2 Love Child
    B3 Living For Tonite

This mini-album was recorded live in Japan (in one take according to the sleeve, how else do you record a live album?). Much as I find it difficult to take a band seriously when they have a track called "Screaming For A Love Bite" this is actually a good album. Accept did actually rock!

Accept hailed from Germany, and were formed as long ago as 1976. They didn't really hit anything close to mainstream success until their Balls To The Wall album in the early 80s sometime.

I aquired this album as part of a small metal collection I bought from a friend who was off travelling back in the late 80s.
Page 1 of 233 12311 ... Last >>

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •