Blog: Tadpole's Pond

Posted by tadpole256 on 17th June 2008 at 06:28 (86714 Views)
JUN
California Legalizes Gay Marriage
2 Comments
Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
So it turns out that California has become the second state to legalize same-sex marriage. Some are calling it a huge win for civil rights, others are calling it an absolute travesty. Personally, I think it is a huge win for the homosexual community. Good for them. But frankly, I just donít see why anyone who is not homosexual cares.

It seems sad to me that in this day and age we should still be struggling for certain segments of our society to be getting even the most basic of human rights. I would have hoped that we had progressed farther than that. Of course homosexuals should be able to wed, why not?

In a day when there are so many things to separate and divide us as people, isnít it a positive move to support something that encourages a loving bond? In a world rife with violence and despair, isnít it a good thing that we should be supporting commitments of love? Who has a more legitimate marriage, a gay couple that stays together for 50 years, or a straight couple that gets divorced less than a year after their marriage?

Donít get me wrong, I am not saying that homosexuals have more meaningful, longer lasting relationships. Nor am I saying that heterosexuals all get divorced in time. What I am saying is that both groups are completely capable of having meaningful, long term relationships, and the government SHOULD recognize that fact.

There are those who argue that homosexual marriage somehow cheapens other forms of marriage. I think this is an absurd notion with the sole intent of maintaining a status quo. The fact is that a homosexual marriage does not cheapen a heterosexual marriage anymore than a Hindu marriage cheapens a Christian marriage. Furthermore, no one is going to capture you and force you to marry someone of the same sex. All the legislation does is grant equal recognition under the law, a concept which is at the very heart of the foundation of the United States.

http://www.quixoticjourney.com/?p=58
Tags: gay marriage
Categories
Member Blogs

Comments

1. garysher -
    JUN
    What a disingenuous bunch of twaddle!

You know full well that homosexuals have a right to marry just as anyone else does. They already have equal recognition under the law.

The problem is that once you overlook the moral misgivings and redefine marriage to accommodate homosexuals, there is no reason not to further redefine marriage to include polygamists, siblings, bestialists etc.

But of course nobody is going to capture you and force you to marry a goat so why should you care?

Re California we will see what happens in the November ballot. No doubt the polygamists and bestialists will be watching the result very closely.
  2. parsonstreet -
    JUL
    The problem is that once you overlook the moral misgivings and redefine marriage to accommodate homosexuals, there is no reason not to further redefine marriage to include polygamists, siblings, bestialists etc
    You realy think that? Or are you going to force them to accomodate those groups of people in the legislation?

What a transparent hatemonger.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

BC Forums Today's Posts Activity Stream Spy Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC