Blog: Blog Of An Admin

Posted by Scrotnig on 2nd January 2010 at 17:45 (1758 Views)
JAN
Hating Work
7 Comments
Rate this Entry
I have to go back to work on Tuesday 5th, and for the first time in this job, I am dreading it.

My manager doesn't like me and the job I am being asked to do has turned into a "call centre" type role, with you being timed in the toilet etc. I'd never have taken a job like that (and my salary is too much for such a job).

I am also under instruction NOT to use many of the technical skills I was brought in for (and am paid for), because it's "not my job".

I am of the belief - if you don't like a job, stop doing it. So that's my plan. Obviously I can't be so frivolous as to leave without a new job, but I no longer give a shit what they do - I am leaving.

At the same time, I am also going to finally leave Manchester, the shite city I currently live in, and move further south.

None of this can really happen until late spring, but it will probably take at least that long to get a new job anyhow. But the decision is made - I am on the move!
Categories
Scrotnig's Run Of the Mill Musings

Comments

1. Johnie B Goode -
    JAN
    Good for you! But what they have done seems to be the trend. I took voluntary redundancy from BT in December for very similar reasons. What made my mind up, was a book called Two Caravans. It made me want to take control of my own life back.
  2. Scrotnig -
    JAN
    Johnie B Goode
    Good for you! But what they have done seems to be the trend. I took voluntary redundancy from BT in December for very similar reasons. What made my mind up, was a book called Two Caravans. It made me want to take control of my own life back.
    Thanks, I must look that up, because that's the position I feel I'm in. I need to "take control of my own life". I should be much happier than I am. I'm not miserable generally, but I do despise my job, and with good reason.
  3. Calidore -
    JAN
    come to Oxford, they always want technical people in the myriad of publishers and IT companies that work here. also it's full of leftists so you iwll feel right at home

Updated 2nd January 2010 at 20:23 by Calidore
  4. Olespice -
    JAN
    Well - well. What a turn up! I'm actually drawn to agreeing completely with C. Unbelievable. I must look more closely at the rest of his stuff from time to time . .

Anyway, yes mam, go for any area which is known for its use of your own particular expertise. Don''t head off 'into the dark' And yes again (this is really something you know!) if you go for people as much as workload, your prospects are heading just how they should. Sociability is part and parcel of any employment. Leftist or rightist don't come into it. (There now, a spoiler). The Uni type atmosphere extends to many outside the teaching establishment into the population at large because of the jobs it brings.

Go lady - go!
  5. Olespice -
    JAN
    Sorry Scrotnig. I should have said "Yes, Sir" and Go man - go!" Oh gawd .. !
  6. Scrotnig -
    JAN
    Calidore
    come to Oxford, they always want technical people in the myriad of publishers and IT companies that work here. also it's full of leftists so you iwll feel right at home
    Yes that wouldn't be a bad idea, if I could find anywhere. Would certainly fit in with the plans.
  7. Scrotnig -
    JAN
    Olespice
    Well - well. What a turn up! I'm actually drawn to agreeing completely with C. Unbelievable. I must look more closely at the rest of his stuff from time to time . .

Anyway, yes mam, go for any area which is known for its use of your own particular expertise. Don''t head off 'into the dark' And yes again (this is really something you know!) if you go for people as much as workload, your prospects are heading just how they should. Sociability is part and parcel of any employment. Leftist or rightist don't come into it. (There now, a spoiler). The Uni type atmosphere extends to many outside the teaching establishment into the population at large because of the jobs it brings.

Go lady - go!
    Thanks Ole, something certainly needs to be done. My current job will make me ill.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC