Blog: Blog Of An Admin

Posted by Scrotnig on 30th December 2009 at 14:06 (1675 Views)
DEC
Trying to install Windows 7 (Full Version)
2 Comments
Rate this Entry
My attempts to install Windows 7 have run into catastrophic issues.

Having managed to get a very poor installation of it working (slow boot times, frequent crashes, etc), I have ended up flattening the disk entirely. However, it now won't install at all, hanging and/or crashing at various different points. At one point it also refused to format the disk after partitioning.

In desperation I have tried to install Windows XP with a view to running the Windows 7 disc from within there, but three attempts at this also fail, it installs but won't boot due to corrupt files.

My old Windows Vista disc also won't install, with similar errors.

I am now running a CHKDSK from within the XP recovery console, as I seriously suspect the hard drive is buggered, though quite how this could have occurred I have no idea.

Embarrassingly I may have to take it to a computer repair shop next week, but I really do think that if three different OS's refuse to install with random disk errors, it's got to be the hard disk.
Categories
Scrotnig's Run Of the Mill Musings

Comments

1. CookieNinja -
    DEC
    Burn a Ubuntu Live CD, or use the USB start up disk creator from the admin part of the System menu to make a bootable USB stick, and start up the computer using that. So long as that boots OK, the hardware (excluding the suspect HD) is fine. Then go to the admin part of the system menu and use the hard disk partition tool to try and format the partitions your having problems with and see if that makes things OK.

That should give all the hardware, including the CD/DVD drive, a good workout to make sure that is OK as well as the hard disk.
  2. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    CookieNinja
    Burn a Ubuntu Live CD, or use the USB start up disk creator from the admin part of the System menu to make a bootable USB stick, and start up the computer using that. So long as that boots OK, the hardware (excluding the suspect HD) is fine. Then go to the admin part of the system menu and use the hard disk partition tool to try and format the partitions your having problems with and see if that makes things OK.

That should give all the hardware, including the CD/DVD drive, a good workout to make sure that is OK as well as the hard disk.
    Thanks Cookie...I have however discovered that it's definitely the HDD. As well as numerous OS's failing to install due to corrupt files, I did manage to get a working DOS prompt up, and although you can partition ok, you can only "quick format" - full format times out. And a CHKDSK returns "unrecoverable errors" after about 30%.

RIP my new computer's hard drive!

I am back to my 2004 trusty old machine, and will have to buy a new HDD in the new year.

Luckily, I lost no data - it's all stored on this old machine (which has been used like a network file server), plus it's also backed up.

I love it when being good with backups proves its worth!

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC