Blog: Blog Of An Admin

Posted by Scrotnig on 27th December 2009 at 19:38 (3320 Views)
DEC
Games Console?
6 Comments
Rate this Entry
I am considering trying to stop being a curmudgeonly luddite and investing in a games console.

I have decided that it needs to be either a Wii or an X-Box.

What sort of price am I look at, which should I go for, and what is the 130 "cut down" X Box that is being advertised?
Tags: gaming, wii, xbox
Categories
Scrotnig's Run Of the Mill Musings

Comments

1. Red Rackham -
    DEC
    Games Console?
    Scrotnig
    I am considering trying to stop being a curmudgeonly luddite and investing in a games console.

I have decided that it needs to be either a Wii or an X-Box.

What sort of price am I look at, which should I go for, and what is the 130 "cut down" X Box that is being advertised?
    Why not consider PS3? I can't comment on Wii but the wife had a PS2 then went for an X Box. She was dissapointed with it and is now happy with a PS3.

Personally I don't know the first thing about games consoles, I'm just reporting on what the wife has said.
  2. CookieNinja -
    DEC
    When it comes to comparing the PS3 (it's not entirely fair not to consider it) & xbox, my perception is that they're much the same and which is best depends on how you use them. Once you start playing online and needing a large hard disk the PS3 becomes the cheaper of the 2 in the long run, because playing online is totally free on the PS3 and it uses regular pc hard disks, whereas with the xbox you pay to play online and requires the use of a type of hard disk specific for the xbox.

When it comes to xbox/PS3 vs wii, it all come down to the types of games. There are wii games that require a fair amount of your time, but most are geared towards being easy to learn and possible to play in a relatively short bursts rather than requiring hours of play to get into. It's worth bearing in mind, too, that the cheapness of the wii more or less evaporates once you start buying more than 2 pairs of controllers. It's also geared much more towards multi-player in the same room, as nintendo have a much less developed system for online multi-player.
  3. Red Rackham -
    DEC
    CookieNinja
    When it comes to comparing the PS3 (it's not entirely fair not to consider it) & xbox, my perception is that they're much the same and which is best depends on how you use them. Once you start playing online and needing a large hard disk the PS3 becomes the cheaper of the 2 in the long run, because playing online is totally free on the PS3 and it uses regular pc hard disks, whereas with the xbox you pay to play online and requires the use of a type of hard disk specific for the xbox.

When it comes to xbox/PS3 vs wii, it all come down to the types of games. There are wii games that require a fair amount of your time, but most are geared towards being easy to learn and possible to play in a relatively short bursts rather than requiring hours of play to get into. It's worth bearing in mind, too, that the cheapness of the wii more or less evaporates once you start buying more than 2 pairs of controllers. It's also geared much more towards multi-player in the same room, as nintendo have a much less developed system for online multi-player.
    Although I'm not really interested in games consoles, that was quite interesting and more or less what the wife says...I think.
  4. Evil -
    DEC
    I have a PS2 and a Wii. I'm looking to get a PS3.

Between an X-Box and a Wii, I'd lean toward the X-Box. The Wii is cool but I have trouble finding decent games for it.
  5. LadyLush -
    DEC
    We have a Wii and an XBox 360, if you want serious games and graphics go for the XBox and COD or Halo, if you want it for fun go for the Wii and Mario Party and Wii Play/Sports, Wii fit is also excellent. Both can be connected to the internet, XBox live is very good, you can play your games with people who like doing the same stuff all over the world, the Americans are pretty stupid and abusive though, and you can download movies, songs, games etc straight to the hard drive. The Wii has a brilliant retro games library for download and the motion detectors on the remotes are fun.

Get Both!!!
  6. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    Hmmm...can't afford both. Will give this some thought.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC