Blog: Blog Of An Admin

Posted by Scrotnig on 27th December 2009 at 12:55 (1466 Views)
DEC
Train Prices
19 Comments
Rate this Entry
A lesson in how NOT to encourage use of public transport.

I just decided to check what the train prices would be like for a long journey I'd like to make. After all, we're meant to be encouraging people to leave the car at home, so it should be cheaper, right?

Wrong! For a journey that will cost me around 50 for the entire journey and the return, I would be paying minimum 118 for a return train ticket. I even looked at the cost of two singles, but it's the same.

Complete and utter waste of space! I'll stick to the car thanks.
Categories
Scrotnig's Run Of the Mill Musings

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>
  1. Johnie B Goode -
    DEC
    Don't give up. Keep watching, they sneak some bargains in when you are not looking. A bit like plane fares.
  2. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    Johnie B Goode
    Don't give up. Keep watching, they sneak some bargains in when you are not looking. A bit like plane fares.
    Thanks, I will....it's not very good for encouraging use of public transport though is it?
  3. Memnoch -
    DEC
    The longest journey I can make within mainland GB from my home is to Wick in the far north of Scotland.

ATCF it is 492 miles. By road it's a minimum of 566 miles. At an average of 30mpg the fuel cost would be 90 = 16p a mile.

The cheapest rail fare is 138 so it's about 50% more expensive. For the extra 48 I'll get there in a third of the time, I'll be chauffeur driven all the way in a bigger and more comfortable seat than the one behind my steering wheel, I can eat, drink, make a phone call, visit the bathroom, read a book, have sex, play games, surf the net, take photos of the scenery and take a nap, all without having to pull over, and when I arrive I won't be tired, sweaty, irritable and smelling of petrol stations and greasy spoons.

Give me one good reason why I should complain about the train being more expensive than the car?
  4. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    Memnoch
    The longest journey I can make within mainland GB from my home is to Wick in the far north of Scotland.

ATCF it is 492 miles. By road it's a minimum of 566 miles. At an average of 30mpg the fuel cost would be 90 = 16p a mile.

The cheapest rail fare is 138 so it's about 50% more expensive. For the extra 48 I'll get there in a third of the time, I'll be chauffeur driven all the way in a bigger and more comfortable seat than the one behind my steering wheel, I can eat, drink, make a phone call, visit the bathroom, read a book, have sex, play games, surf the net, take photos of the scenery and take a nap, all without having to pull over, and when I arrive I won't be tired, sweaty, irritable and smelling of petrol stations and greasy spoons.

Give me one good reason why I should complain about the train being more expensive than the car?
    Well you can throw all those statistics at me, but the facts are simple:

1) It's 50 by car
    2) It's over 100 by train.

Ergo, the train is more expensive. I'm not arsed about scenery, and I've never yet finished a car journey smelling of petrol.
  5. rizla -
    DEC
    Train travel does not make any financial sense at all. Its not just the price of the ticket, most people have the expense of getting to and from the station as well.And then the train or your connection is probably late. No, train travel is the Pitt's, personally i prefer traffic jams.
  6. Red Rackham -
    DEC
    I was recently quoted 220 from Bournemouth to Staffs return, journey time was a little over four hours (one way)

Rail = 220 and about 8+ hours.

Road = 80 to 100 and about 6 hours.

Easy to see why the roads are gridlocked.
  7. nicknotnicked -
    DEC
    The train is not even door to door, I make you right to use the car!
  8. nicknotnicked -
    DEC
    I was recently quoted 220 from Bournemouth to Staffs return, journey time was a little over four hours (one way)

Yeah!
    Get the fuck off the roads you idiot!
  9. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    rizla
    Train travel does not make any financial sense at all. Its not just the price of the ticket, most people have the expense of getting to and from the station as well.And then the train or your connection is probably late. No, train travel is the Pitt's, personally i prefer traffic jams.
    Plus if you're late for work you have *no* protection from disciplinary action whatsoever. Until that happens, if my livelihood depends on it then I'll use the car.
  10. Scrotnig -
    DEC
    Red Rackham

This government's only answer is to increase taxes on cars. Won't work. We need a properly subsidised public transport system, as opposed to what we currently have, where the subsidies go straight into the pockets of the greedy shareholders, leaving the passengers to pick up the tab.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:

BC Forums Create Account Today's Posts Activity Stream Latest Likes
  • Quick Links
  •  
    Make A Donation To BC