PDA

View Full Version : Can you break this code

Blah
1st April 2011, 23:36
Chances like this don't come along too often. on June 30th 1999 Ricky McCormicks body was discovered in St Louis Missouri. He had been murdered and his body was dumped in a field. He had two hand written coded notes in his pocket (he'd always been into writing cyphers apparently) which could possibly help solve the case. Or not. Nobody knows, even the FBI Cryptanalysis and Racketeering records unit or the American Cryptogram association. It's a big old internet though so there's a possibility that somebody out there could solve it. The FBI have just put it out there for everybody to have a crack at. -

http://ionglobaltrends.blogspot.com/2011/03/crime-can-you-break-code-help-solve.html

I'm totally going to beat everyone in the world to it. Probably.

sphinx
1st April 2011, 23:47
Hmmm....is it a hoax?

If not, it should be easily cracked by the lads in Hackquest....and certainly the American FBI ought to be able to. :r5

At a cursory glance, it reminds me of a code we used at work some 40 years ago. That had a random letter or symbol inserted after the first and third letter of each word, and the last 2 letters of each word reversed, plus an additional random letterat the end of the word, and the gaps between words in the wrong places.

For example: *for example* would be written: fxrotec xamjpelk

Good luck. :D

Blah
2nd April 2011, 00:04
I thought it might be an April fools but there was a link somewhere to the fbigov site and I think it was put on some pages a couple of days ago or so.

Chris Mitchell
2nd April 2011, 00:13
The article was posted on 30 March, so it probably isn't a hoax. Lots of words end in RSE though - very curious.

Crazy Jane
2nd April 2011, 00:17
Easy peasy.. says the following:

Eggs, one loaf of white bread, one loaf of brown bread, milk, potatoes, green pepper, three oranges, broccoli, one medium size butternut, pack of closed button mushrooms, six oranges, 2 lemons, bunch of bananas, six satsumas, bacon, smoked ham, six small pork pies, sausages, two magerita pizzas, one litre orange juice, one litre apple juice, readybrek, kellogg cornflakes...

I could go on if you like... but then you'd all steal my thunder before I have the chance to hand it over to FBI.

Olespice
2nd April 2011, 08:05
When I saw "easy peasy" I thought you were going to write about knit one pearl one etc . . .

Fairy_Nuff
2nd April 2011, 09:14
Hmmm....is it a hoax?

If not, it should be easily cracked by the lads in Hackquest....and certainly the American FBI ought to be able to. :r5

At a cursory glance, it reminds me of a code we used at work some 40 years ago. That had a random letter or symbol inserted after the first and third letter of each word, and the last 2 letters of each word reversed, plus an additional random letterat the end of the word, and the gaps between words in the wrong places.

For example: *for example* would be written: fxrotec xamjpelk

Good luck. :D

You know what? I was just about to post that Miss Marple you'd solve it, and now I don't need to. So I wont. :q1

beliz3
2nd April 2011, 09:35
why not put more time into solving the murder,the note is a red herring and a very good one at that

Olespice
2nd April 2011, 12:59
why not put more time into solving the murder,the note is a red herring and a very good one at that

With such insight you should join the 'mediums,' B, and save us all the bother each time. :D

beliz3
2nd April 2011, 13:03
With such insight you should join the 'mediums,' B, and save us all the bother each time. :D

think i may just do that

Olespice
2nd April 2011, 13:05
think i may just do that

Gawd - what a mess they'll all be in if you do!

beliz3
2nd April 2011, 13:08
it reads don't forget mothers day

Blah
2nd April 2011, 22:09
Here's a transcript of the notes. The original is pretty hard to read.

Note 1 text:
( MND MUNE M RSE-N-S-M-KNARE ) ( ACSM )
TFRNE NPINSE NPBSE RCBRNSE NPRSE INC
PRSE N MRSE OPRE HLD WLD NCBE ( TFXLF TCXLF NCBE )
AL-*RPPIT XLYPPIY NCBE MGKSE WLD RCBRNSE PRSE
WLD RCBRNSE NT SGNENTRSE - CRSLE - CITRSE WLD NCBE
AL WLD NCBE TSME LRSE RLSE URGLS ~ EAS ~ WLD NCBE
( NOPFSE NLSRE NCBE ) NTE G D DMN SENCURE RCBRNE
( TENE TFRNE NCBRTSE NCBE INC )
(FLRSE PRSE ON DE 71 NCBE )
(CDNSE PRSE ON SE 74 NCBE )
(PR+SE PRSE ON REDE 75 NCBE )
(TF N*CMSP SOLE MRDE LUSE TOTE WLD ~ WLD NCBE )
( 194 WLD's NCBE ) ( TRFXL )
Note 2 text:
ALPNTE GLSE-SE ER+E
YLSE MTSE-CSTE-WSE-FRTSE
PURTRSE ONDRSE WLD NCBE
N WLD XLR CMS? NE WLD STS ME XL
DULMT 6 TUNSE NCBEXC

(MuNSA I STENMU NARSE)
KLSE-LRSTE-TR SE-TRSE-MKSE N-MRSE
(FREENSE SE N MRSE)

NMN RCBX NSE PTE 2 PTE WSRC BREXE
36 MLSE 74 SPRKSE 29 KENOS OLE + 73 RTRSE
35 SLE CLGSE OUNNTXF DKRSE PSESHLE
651 MTCSE HTLSE N CU TC TRS NMRE
99.84.8 2 UNE PLSE VCRSE AOLTSE NSKSE N SE

NSRE ONSB PUT SE WLD NCBE (3 XARL)
?NTOSE NRSE I N 2 N TRLERCB ANSE NTSRCR O NE
ASPUSE N G-SPSE MSKE R 8 SE NEBE AU XL R
HM CRENMRE ECBE 1/2 MUNDDLSE

D-W_M-Y MIL XDRLX

Something strikes me as obvious in a day to day sense straight away though. I just want to see if anybody else spots it.

Scrotnig
3rd April 2011, 00:14
A lot of RSE and RS etc?

Blah
3rd April 2011, 00:30
not really a transcript though is it? Need to wake up...

Blah
3rd April 2011, 18:28
I think it has something to do with a list of 'inmates surnames' either 'us inmates surnames' or 'un inmates surnames'
Also something possibly to do with 'sentences' or 'refer sentence'. I'm still working on it though. I did find a pattern in part of it but my methodology doesn't work all the way through. I was going to tell the guys at websleuths but I can't seem to register there with any of my email accounts. If anybody has an account there could they get somebodys attention there? I'd appreciate it.