PDA

View Full Version : Selling drugs

Equinox
28th December 2007, 13:20
This seedy government is soft on drugs.

I have long believed the solution is to take the drug dealers out by locking the lot of them up. The police usually know who they are, and it's not hard to find out.

Then start clamping down on the users. take them off the streets, in effect, as well. or hit them where it hurts, in the pocket.

I'm not particularly anti-drugs as such, other than I know that most crime has its roots in the drug culture pervading our society.

Thatcher would not have let it get this bad.

sphinx
28th December 2007, 13:55
Thatcher would not have let it get this bad.

It was during Thatcher's reign that it escalated to the state it is in today. :rolleyes:

The simple answer is to legalize all so-called recreation drugs, in the same way that nicotine and alcohol are legal, and then they can be purchased by those who desire them very cheaply, and no need for 'dealers' at all.

Rabbit
28th December 2007, 14:06
It was during Thatcher's reign that it escalated to the state it is in today. :rolleyes:

The simple answer is to legalize all so-called recreation drugs, in the same way that nicotine and alcohol are legal, and then they can be purchased by those who desire them very cheaply, and no need for 'dealers' at all.It sounds like an ideal solution, but there's a problem with it that's not immediately obvious: If it's legalised, it will be taxed. If it's taxed it will attract smugglers. I realise it is currently almost in the exclusive domain of smugglers, but legalising it will attract more smugglers of the less hardened kind who won't mind the smaller risk. It is generally believed by Customs and police forces that the profits of smuggling things like booze and smokes are used to fund more serious criminal activities. The end result may be less "dirty" money around from illegal drugs trading than at present, but it will be more thinly spread due to the greater number of illegal traders, and thus more difficult to police.

PS - When did you start spelling ise with a z?

Yojimbo
28th December 2007, 23:40

The simple answer is to legalize all so-called recreation drugs, in the same way that nicotine and alcohol are legal, and then they can be purchased by those who desire them very cheaply, and no need for 'dealers' at all.

It sounds like an ideal solution, but there's a problem with it that's not immediately obvious: If it's legalised, it will be taxed. If it's taxed it will attract smugglers. I realise it is currently almost in the exclusive domain of smugglers, but legalising it will attract more smugglers of the less hardened kind who won't mind the smaller risk. It is generally believed by Customs and police forces that the profits of smuggling things like booze and smokes are used to fund more serious criminal activities. The end result may be less "dirty" money around from illegal drugs trading than at present, but it will be more thinly spread due to the greater number of illegal traders, and thus more difficult to police.

Both posts contain WISDOM.

sphinx
29th December 2007, 08:27

It is the original (and still the most correct) ENGLISH way to spell such words. I am making a lone stand for correctness. :yup2:

Jackdaw
29th December 2007, 14:47
It is the original (and still the most correct) ENGLISH way to spell such words. I am making a lone stand for correctness. :yup2:

Well done, Sphinx! I have recently had a set to with our local council who have incorrectly spelt such words in all their literature. I was told that the "Z" was the American spelling! Frightening, eh? The OED says that either way is now correct. Latin and most European languages use "Z". I believe French is the exception. Lots of spelling is changing due to "common usuage" (or dumbing down.)

Marion
29th December 2007, 16:42
Well done, Sphinx! I have recently had a set to with our local council who have incorrectly spelt such words in all their literature. I was told that the "Z" was the American spelling! Frightening, eh? The OED says that either way is now correct. Latin and most European languages use "Z". I believe French is the exception. Lots of spelling is changing due to "common usuage" (or dumbing down.)

I totally agree and feel that English is being turned into a misshmash of slang and verbose language.