PDA

View Full Version : School Dinners

bill jarvis
19th September 2004, 12:43
My grandchildren started school a few days ago and have been given beefburger and chips, pizza and chicken nuggets, amongst other things for their school dinners.
Shouldn't it be part of their education to be fed with proper food?

bill

Bill. MC
19th September 2004, 12:57
534053 In Post 534053, bill jarvis said:
My grandchildren started school a few days ago and have been given beefburger and chips, pizza and chicken nuggets, amonst other things for their school dinners.

bill

Just another example of how kids are spoiled these days. IMO they should bring back good old fashioned school meals such as mince with potatoes and cabbage or brussel sprouts.

LadyLush
19th September 2004, 14:26
Its bad news isn't it? My two eldest kids have school lunches, they come home having stuffed their faces with cookies, doughnuts, cake, chips, pizza adn any number of other things they wouldn't get if they were eating at home. Occasionally they get rice or pasta, but thats still accompanied by something loaded with salt and fat. I want them to be able to eat a hot meal for lunch now the weather is getting colder but most of the stuff they get offered is complete rubbish. My kids school have however introduced a water and fruit scheme, every child in the school has been given a sports bottle with the school logo on it, they have to fill it with water every day and can drink it anytime they like, even in lessons. Also every primary school child should be given a piece of fruit every day, my kids school have started to give them two, in the hope they'll stop bringing crisps for snacks. They also have a breaskfast club, so children who ahve to go to school early can go in and have something decent to eat.

I have a friedn who is a dinnerlady at a Birmingham primary school, Birmingham city council charges 1.75 a day for school meals, the guidelines are that each childs meal should cost the school 1 a day, at the school my friend works at the kids are getting 40p !

Sara xxx

Hooded Shadow
19th September 2004, 14:47
My sons school is trying to get them to eat healthily too. The bottle of water was issues before the summer holidays, and after them we get issued with the healthy options of sandwiches and snacks they should be coming to school with.

They suggest pieces of fruit with lemon juice on them to keep them fresh! Can you remember liking lemon juice when you were younger than 10?

I've thus increased my sons sandwiches and took out the chocolate nibbles. Plus because if i don't hide them at home he'd hit them behind your back, he's just done choc cold turkey which i'm proud of.

I don't know about you either but he just won't use a knife and fork much, he'd rather eat with his fingers Macdonalds style >< he asks to stay school dinners so to try and encourage this I tell him only when he learns to eat with cutlery!

Joys of parenthood :)

Katitude
19th September 2004, 17:26
My daughter brings home a menu every month and you have to tick off what you would like them to have on certain days. Needless to say there are no real meal choices, chicken nuggets are practically on every dish.

Chris Mitchell
19th September 2004, 17:29

Yes, it should.

Sadly, the likes of McDonalds have now got "franchises" with certain schools, so the rot's really setting in.

And when Bill Jarvis and I agree etc etc etc...

bill jarvis
19th September 2004, 17:30
534123 In Post 534123, Chris Mitchell said:

And when Bill Jarvis and I agree etc etc etc...

How do you know? It's never happened before.

bill

Chris Mitchell
19th September 2004, 18:31
534125 In Post 534125, bill jarvis said:
How do you know? It's never happened before.

bill

LOL! I think there was an occasion when you, me *and* Fork Me agreed on something, but I required counselling to get over it :)

somanyways
19th September 2004, 18:41
i stopped with school dinners when i got into year 7, everything was with chips, i was eating to much sweet stuff and it was rubbish anyway. Went to good old pack-up, which gives me all lunch for the table tennis practices and i can eat it when i need it, much easier, though i do appreciate the need for warm meals in winter for others though i never really have needed them too much

Mags
19th September 2004, 19:09
Missy needs to take approx 3-3.50 every day to cover her needs at school. The canteen is run like a cafe, seems to be mostly burgers, crisps and fruit shoots all at more than they cost me to buy in the supermarket etc.
I'm lucky becasue she doesn't actually eat much during the day, but any horse in the vicinity has to disappear in the early evening or she'll have it between two slices of bread pronto!

somanyways
19th September 2004, 19:18
thats steep, i only used to need 1.50, prob 1.80 now though but 3.50 is ridiculously expensive

Mags
19th September 2004, 21:13
that buys her a burger 2.20 fruit shoot 80p and crisps if she wants them or perhaps a donut 50p

pack of two sandwiches 2.50 (say tuna and sweetcorn)
shortbread biscut (2 pk) 35p
pasta meal 2.50
chips 1.20 portion
etc

somanyways
19th September 2004, 21:40
ouch, and i thought our canteen was bad (taking quality of food into account) and regularity with which they set the fire alarm off :(

somanyways
19th September 2004, 21:42
:no: i just noticed the chips price aswell, thats ridiculous, its 56 p or 65p i think for us

The Teacher
19th September 2004, 22:29
We charge for the kids, 1.25. For that they can have the meal of the day, which is a proper meal, potatoes and the like with a pudding, or there is the usual burger and chips, piza and chips etc., or there are sandwiches.

I agree that schoolchildren should get a proper meal at school, for some it is the only meal they will get, but the trouble is cost. It is far cheaper to buy 20 economy burgers and a bag of fries than it is to buy a joint of beef or some chicken. It is also quicker to cook and quicker for the kids to eat, but there is no thought to nutrition.

Personally I would like to see a ban on fast food in schools and a return to proper school dinners, with salads as well.

The Teacher

Bill. MC
19th September 2004, 22:52
534228 In Post 534228, The Teacher said:

Personally I would like to see a ban on fast food in schools and a return to proper school dinners, with salads as well.

Yes I agree and there should be a ban on chips. Baked potatoes should be substituted for chips and loads of green vegetables should be served.

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:42
534204 In Post 534204, somanyways said:
:no: i just noticed the chips price aswell, thats ridiculous, its 56 p or 65p i think for us

30p for half, 56p for full chips

i stopped eating them a long time ago, because
1. the dinner ladies are abusive, and make you feel you're not supposed to be there
2. the food is unhealthy
3. it tastes like crap
4. (not the reason i stopped eating, but) someone found a deep fried ant in their chips. mmmmm.....:P x:3

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:44
534262 In Post 534262, LinuxPenguin said:
30p for half, 56p for full chips

i stopped eating them a long time ago, because
1. the dinner ladies are abusive, and make you feel you're not supposed to be there
2. the food is unhealthy
3. it tastes like crap
4. (not the reason i stopped eating, but) someone found a deep fried ant in their chips. mmmmm.....:P x:3

oh, and i hate having to eat my lunch in one place, and queueing up for the privelege of eating packup.....

(as Andy will tell you...)

Katitude
19th September 2004, 23:46
When I was at school there was none of this chicken nugget and chips rubbish. We had things like leek pudding, potato and veg, steak and kidney pie with pots and veg - it was always a hot meal, followed by a dessert such as apple pie and custard, or rice. When I ask my daughter what she had for dessert, she will say a *biscuit*. Makes me wonder where the 1.75 I pay a week for school dinners is really going?

Lucky for my young one, I make *real* dinners a lot. I don't buy microwaveable convenience foods or Pot Noodle crap.

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:47
534228 In Post 534228, The Teacher said:
We charge for the kids, 1.25. For that they can have the meal of the day, which is a proper meal, potatoes and the like with a pudding, or there is the usual burger and chips, piza and chips etc., or there are sandwiches.

I agree that schoolchildren should get a proper meal at school, for some it is the only meal they will get, but the trouble is cost. It is far cheaper to buy 20 economy burgers and a bag of fries than it is to buy a joint of beef or some chicken. It is also quicker to cook and quicker for the kids to eat, but there is no thought to nutrition.

The Teacher

Its true. our school does offer SOME healthy alternatives, but they also offer chips. which is more appetising, and therefore popular.

they need to stop seeling chips and do something healthier

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:50
534264 In Post 534264, Katitude said:
When I was at school there was none of this chicken nugget and chips rubbish. We had things like leek pudding, potato and veg, steak and kidney pie with pots and veg - it was always a hot meal, followed by a dessert such as apple pie and custard, or rice. When I ask my daughter what she had for dessert, she will say a *biscuit*. Makes me wonder where the 1.75 I pay a week for school dinners is really going?

Lucky for my young one, I make *real* dinners a lot. I don't buy microwaveable convenience foods or Pot Noodle crap.

:applaud: its about time schools offered real food, and ONLY real food, and packet meals are unhealthy disguised as healthy :o :o :o

Now im in yr11, we have a common room with a kettle, and many people now just buy pot noodles before school, and make them up at lunchtime. at least its better than chips...

Katitude
19th September 2004, 23:50
1.75 A DAY for school meals I meant......lol

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:51
534266 In Post 534266, Katitude said:
1.75 A DAY for school meals I meant......lol

tsk... there is an edit button :mad:

;)

Katitude
19th September 2004, 23:52
Pot noodles have a lot of preservatives in them that are bad for you, you know.

Still, the same can be said of chips I suppose, they are bad for you also.

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:54
534269 In Post 534269, Katitude said:
Pot noodles have a lot of preservatives in them that are bad for you, you know.

Still, the same can be said of chips I suppose, they are bad for you also.

as i stated earlier, packet foods are bad for you, i just said they were "better" than chips

Katitude
19th September 2004, 23:55
534268 In Post 534268, LinuxPenguin said:
tsk... there is an edit button :mad:

;)

Yeah I know, I usually do edit........but this computer is running so slow tonight, it's quicker to just post another reply rather than wait for the edit page to load.

LinuxPenguin
19th September 2004, 23:59
534271 In Post 534271, Katitude said:
Yeah I know, I usually do edit........but this computer is running so slow tonight, it's quicker to just post another reply rather than wait for the edit page to load.

sure its not to get your post count up?

;)

Katitude
20th September 2004, 00:00
534270 In Post 534270, LinuxPenguin said:
as i stated earlier, packet foods are bad for you, i just said they were "better" than chips

OK, chips fried in fat perhaps, what about chips done in the oven?

Surely they aren't bad for you :D

Yeah I know, you don't have access to an oven at your place, just a kettle, so it's easier to make a pot noodle. :rofl3:

bill jarvis
20th September 2004, 08:20
534187 In Post 534187, Mags said:
that buys her a burger 2.20 fruit shoot 80p and crisps if she wants them or perhaps a donut 50p

pasta meal 2.50
chips 1.20 portion
etc

Health educationalists (sorry Jason) tell us burgers, chips, crisps, donuts, biscuits etc are bad for our health.
Ther appears to be a contradiction here.

bill

Marion
20th September 2004, 10:37
I retired at 55 and took a part time job as a dinner lady in our local comprehensive. To be quite honest I thought the experience might provide material for a short story I wanted to write for our monthly writers circle competition. I lasted two days. I was totally unable to work alongside the ghastly women from the nearby estate who made up the force. Common as muck, mouths like drunken navvies, lack of personal hygiene, dirty necks where the orange ended and false fingernails decorated like a gypsy's front room. I complained to the headmaster, who looked like a middle-aged punk from yesteryear, about one woman who was constantly picking her nose whilst dishing up mashed potatoes and another who kept a cigarette end alight beside the sausages and kept bending down to take a puff. He told me I was a nothing but a Tory snob so I slapped his face with my handkerchief and stormed out.

Hooded Shadow
20th September 2004, 13:42
I find its equally hard to find a decent cafe these days that does offer a healthy option. Only odd ones would now serve you a propper dinner as opposed to chips with everything.

Its hard on anyone who's trying to watch what they eat.

Marion
20th September 2004, 13:47
534365 In Post 534365, Hooded Shadow said:
I find its equally hard to find a decent cafe these days that does offer a healthy option. Only odd ones would now serve you a propper dinner as opposed to chips with everything.

Its hard on anyone who's trying to watch what they eat.

Have you tried Shepherds of Mayfair, dear?

somanyways
20th September 2004, 17:40
534263 In Post 534263, LinuxPenguin said:
oh, and i hate having to eat my lunch in one place, and queueing up for the privelege of eating packup.....

(as Andy will tell you...)

no he won't, Andy doesn't bother with dining hall anymore, waste of time and too busy with table tennis practices :p

Fork Me
20th September 2004, 18:31
My grandchildren started school a few days ago and have been given beefburger and chips, pizza and chicken nuggets, amongst other things for their school dinners.

bill

Yes, it should.

School dinners are crap, I wouldn't eat them, nor would I expect any children of mine to.

It's all the fault of privatisation. School dinners are now served up by private companies whose sole remit is to earn as much money as possible.

Quality has gone out of the window in favour of staff cuts and cheap ingredients.

Fork Me

Fork Me
20th September 2004, 18:32
534060 In Post 534060, Bill. MC said:
Just another example of how kids are spoiled these days.

Spoiled? Have you actually seen the crap they dish up to kids?

fork me

Fork Me
20th September 2004, 18:34
534187 In Post 534187, Mags said:

pasta meal 2.50
chips 1.20 portion
etc

Have you checked those prices with the school?

It's a helluva lot more than they pay at ours.

Fork Me

Bill. MC
20th September 2004, 18:42
534525 In Post 534525, Fork Me said:
Spoiled? Have you actually seen the crap they dish up to kids?

fork me

But kids love crappy junk foods such as burgers, pizza and chips. Try getting a kid to eat something healthy such as brussel sprouts or cabbage and you will know what I mean.

LadyLush
20th September 2004, 18:53
My kids love cabbage, and my lads eat sprouts, they love cauliflower and broccoli. They don't eat crap. Its not the kids, its parents, if they are taught to enjoy healthy nutritious food from the outset they'll always eat it. At the end of the day I form my kids eating habits for them.

Sara xxx

Fork Me
20th September 2004, 19:07
534542 In Post 534542, Bill. MC said:
But kids love crappy junk foods such as burgers, pizza and chips. Try getting a kid to eat something healthy such as brussel sprouts or cabbage and you will know what I mean.

Not all kids, Bill, and even if it were true they don't even sell decent burgers they are truly awful. A dried up economy burger in a dry bun, nothing else in it at all. hardly what I'd call spoiling anyone.

Many of our kids complain about the crap on offer, many of them want more healthy options. A lot of the kids are very sporty and look after their fitness.

Fork Me

The Teacher
21st September 2004, 22:32
We actually have a lot of kids who go to the local Cooplands for one of their "ploughmans" sandwiches.
They generally bring back some sort of meat or cheese with salad, all for 1.90.

Very filling they are too.

The Teacher

Bill. MC
22nd September 2004, 11:38
534563 In Post 534563, Fork Me said:
Not all kids, Bill, and even if it were true they don't even sell decent burgers they are truly awful. A dried up economy burger in a dry bun, nothing else in it at all. hardly what I'd call spoiling anyone.

Many of our kids complain about the crap on offer, many of them want more healthy options. A lot of the kids are very sporty and look after their fitness.

Fork Me

Their mums should make them up packed lunches with salad sandwiches and loads of fresh fruit.

Fork Me
22nd September 2004, 17:13
534930 In Post 534930, Bill. MC said:
Their mums should make them up packed lunches with salad sandwiches and loads of fresh fruit.

Many do just that because the school meals are so crap.

It doesn't detract from the point, though.

If meals are to be provided in schools they should be decent meals.

Meals in schools shopuld be provided as a service, not to make money for some unscrupulous company that only cares about profits and not the kids health.

If the compnaies are making a profit serving up this crap, then local authorities should be able to serve up decent meals for the same price on a break even basis.

Fork Me

LinuxPenguin
22nd September 2004, 23:22
535012 In Post 535012, Fork Me said:
Many do just that because the school meals are so crap.

It doesn't detract from the point, though.

If meals are to be provided in schools they should be decent meals.

Meals in schools shopuld be provided as a service, not to make money for some unscrupulous company that only cares about profits and not the kids health.

If the compnaies are making a profit serving up this crap, then local authorities should be able to serve up decent meals for the same price on a break even basis.

Fork Me

Indeed. our school still cooks its own meals, but theyre crap. the prices, while high are low in comaprison to most schools. We once went on a trip to another school, and the lunch there was 75p for a tiny portion of chips (private company), and the hygiene was even worse than at our school. they scraped chips that ahd fallen out of their container onto the side, back into the container again