PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms



Bill. MC
31st August 2004, 23:15
Are they a good idea? Do they regiment kids and help install discipline? Or are they too much hassle. Well I expect they will be an extra burden on poorer families. I hated having to wear them when I was at school.

Chris Mitchell
31st August 2004, 23:43
When I was at school, they held a referendum of the parents in my second year on whether to keep school uniform or not. The result was the uniform was abolished.

Exam performance didn't seem to be affected - the overall results were pretty good, which showed that the ability to do mathematics wasn't affected by whether a tie was worn or not.

In fact, given I took my 'O'-levels in the hottest year on record (1976), I think being forced to wear a tie and blazer might have had a rather detrimental effect!

Nimuae
31st August 2004, 23:44
Steady Bill - you will arouse the Gymslip fetishists!

I also disliked mine when I had to wear it - but - I have to admit it was rather smart. Todays kids look so scruffy - and that has nothing to do with their parents income!

Hooded Shadow
1st September 2004, 00:16
I escaped it!!! The primary school i was at decided to introduce it the next term, but i had just left, and the school i went to was a comprehensive newly built and it was one of the main issues that we didn't have one. Apart from Sports, there was a list long as your arm for that one, which twitched at my Mothers Purse strings...

17 just for two pullovers with the school logo on!! Its the only thing that was bought this year with it on, we cut corners for the rest of them, not that we needed to but i don't see the point. Clothing is dear enough.

I Am The Walrus
1st September 2004, 00:19
526258 In Post 526258, Bill. MC said:
Are they a good idea? Do they regiment kids and help install discipline? Or are they too much hassle. Well I expect they will be an extra burden on poorer families. I hated having to wear them when I was at school.


School uniform can actually put less financial and emotional pressure on parents. In schools where casual clothes are the norm, kids often feel a need to compete with their peers in getting the latest designer clothing and accessories, with a resultant knock on effect for the parents.

The Teacher
1st September 2004, 00:36
School uniform should be mandatory in ALL schools.

The reason I say this is that it shows to everyone what school a child attends and the pupils are dressed identically.

All the schools I have taught in have had uniform. However when I did some supply work I did some in a school that was non-uniform, and you saw the haves and the have nots.

You saw the designer clothes as opposed to the Primark specials. You saw the kids with expensive trainers as opposed to the Windsor ones and so on and so on.

With a uniform everyone is the same, there is no differentiation in clothing, and no hassle by the have nots trying to wreck or steal the belongings of the haves.

The Teacher

Dordie
1st September 2004, 00:46
Agreed Teach.

Nimuae
1st September 2004, 07:56
Yes Teacher and Dordie, although I disliked my uniform, it did have a "levelling" affect, and (grudgingly - with hindsight!) it did promote a sort of pride in belonging to a particular school - sometimes more than the actual teachers did! ( Sorry teacher!)

I passed my 11+ with the highests marks for the whole of my catchment area for that particular year - so I reckon I earned my place at the rather prestigious school - but it was always the kids whose Daddy had the biggest bank account that were favoured - no matter how thick they were!

Sighs...............nothing at all to do with uniform - sorry guys! :topic:

Scrotnig
1st September 2004, 08:08
Generally uniforms are a good idea, however, in my school, even in the sweltering heat, you were forbidden from even loosening your tie, let alone taking off your blazer.

Natuarally, the teachers could dress how they wanted when it was hot, which naturally led to bitter resentment. "Do as I say, not as I do".

All it teaches kids is that if they get a bit of power they can rule by oppression. No surprise, then, that bullying was rife.

We were told it was character building and discipline. Exactly how does it build your character to bugger up your coursework by making you do it when you are close to fainting through excessive heat?

Bill. MC
1st September 2004, 09:31
Yes I see the points made by the Teachers and others about school uniforms being more economical than designer clothes. So lets keep them.



526377 In Post 526377, Mark.B said:
Generally uniforms are a good idea, however, in my school, even in the sweltering heat, you were forbidden from even loosening your tie, let alone taking off your blazer.

Natuarally, the teachers could dress how they wanted when it was hot, which naturally led to bitter resentment. "Do as I say, not as I do".

All it teaches kids is that if they get a bit of power they can rule by oppression. No surprise, then, that bullying was rife.

We were told it was character building and discipline. Exactly how does it build your character to bugger up your coursework by making you do it when you are close to fainting through excessive heat?



When I started secondary school I lived out in Hong Kong. The summer there was between March and November. It was too hot during these months for wearing standard uniform. So a special uniform involving blue shorts and white shirts was required. The girls had to wear special light cotton dresses. Now that we have Global Warming and hotter summers, perhaps school authorities should consider a special summer uniform.

somanyways
1st September 2004, 09:54
526388 In Post 526388, Bill. MC said:
Yes I see the points made by the Teachers and others about school uniforms being more economical than designer clothes. So lets keep them.





When I started secondary school I lived out in Hong Kong. The summer there was between March and November. It was too hot during these months for wearing standard uniform. So a special uniform involving blue shorts and white shirts was required. The girls had to wear special light cotton dresses. Now that we have Global Warming and hotter summers, perhaps school authorities should consider a special summer uniform.


i agree, our school has a summer uniform system which is noramlly in operation for the last half term, or term now because we're moving to a six term year. It is definitely improvement as stereotypically tohe school heating is either freezing or boiling, normally in the wrong times of year, boiling hot heaters in summer :loopy: and freezing ones in winter :j4

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 11:50
A more comfortable school uniform is required, like the one at the school down the road from us. The school I formerly attended (the one Andy is at) only allowed you to remove your blazer in summer! :o :o :o

Dordie
1st September 2004, 11:53
Kick the teachers in the cods and wear something cool....cool! :agree: :r8

somanyways
1st September 2004, 11:56
526449 In Post 526449, LinuxPenguin said:
A more comfortable school uniform is required, like the one at the school down the road from us. The school I formerly attended (the one Andy is at) only allowed you to remove your blazer in summer! :o :o :o


erm in case u hadn't figured, they've realised your in the same year as me, and u can remove ur blazer at breaks if working, or on the courts

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 12:10
526449 In Post 526449, LinuxPenguin said:
The school I formerly attended (the one Andy is at)
I didn't realise you'd been expelled, LP. Are they going to let you back at some point? :rofl:

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 12:18
526464 In Post 526464, Chris Mitchell said:
I didn't realise you'd been expelled, LP. Are they going to let you back at some point? :rofl:

Yes, i moved to the local comp :-|

somanyways
1st September 2004, 12:22
526475 In Post 526475, LinuxPenguin said:
Yes, i moved to the local comp :-|


yes, well i'll see you tomorrow then :q8

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 12:28
526479 In Post 526479, somanyways said:
yes, well i'll see you tomorrow then :q8

You go back tomorrow?

You shouldnt have been on msn past midnight last night then :tsk: Get a regular sleep pattern going

somanyways
1st September 2004, 12:35
u do remember we go to same school, don't you? and i only need 7 hours of sleep a day, up at quarter past seven, sleep after midnight, simple, no?

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 12:49
School unoiform in general is great, it takes some pressure off parents to dress their kids in the latest gear everyday. My childrens school has a lovely uniform, they've gotten rid of the tie and now its a shirt with a collar and a sweatshirt, they look really smart, and they have polo shirts/dresses for the summer. they have to have a uniform for P.E too, which is alsoa good idea it means there is no pressure to give your kids a named sports kit, you can buy the uniform from the school and its reasonably priced. Although i can afford to give my kids pretty much whatever they want now, it wasn't always like that and i'm sure there are children in Adam's and Abi's classes who don't have all the latest gear, but because of the uniform,no one in the class knows that my children have designer trainers and no one knows that some of the other kids don't.

Sara xxx

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 12:52
7:15 thats bloody ridiculous!!!!

I never wake up earlier than 7:25 and never get up earlier than 7:35

somanyways
1st September 2004, 12:55
when do u get the bus then?

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 14:17
526511 In Post 526511, somanyways said:
when do u get the bus then?


8:15 formerly, dunno now

somanyways
1st September 2004, 14:19
8, :k1 anyway, see y i get up earlier, ur bus is later

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 14:34
526559 In Post 526559, somanyways said:
8, :k1 anyway, see y i get up earlier, ur bus is later

I'd get up later if i wasnt woken up forcefully....

somanyways
1st September 2004, 14:44
good to see you're no longer in denial

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 16:49
526578 In Post 526578, somanyways said:
good to see you're no longer in denial

Well theres hardly any point in trying to hide anything when you're about. :mad:

somanyways
1st September 2004, 17:22
now you can stop pretending to be someone you're not

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 18:26
526662 In Post 526662, somanyways said:
now you can stop pretending to be someone you're not


Now you can STFU

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 18:44
Pack it in you two :*angry:

Sara xxx

Dordie
1st September 2004, 18:49
526727 In Post 526727, LadyLush said:
Pack it in you two :*angry:

Sara xxx


Leave them alone Sara......that nasty litte scroat somanyways needs bringing down a peg or two. xxxx

somanyways
1st September 2004, 19:32
good to see you're back on form dordie

Deja Vu
1st September 2004, 19:47
526753 In Post 526753, somanyways said:
good to see you're back on form dordie


i don't recall him ever being off form, especially where
'dateless dorks' like you are concerned :r5

somanyways
1st September 2004, 19:50
526756 In Post 526756, Deja Vu said:
i don't recall him ever being off form, especially where
'dateless dorks' like you are concerned :r5


whose sock puppet are you then?
Dordie himself perhaps

Deja Vu
1st September 2004, 19:57
526758 In Post 526758, somanyways said:
who's sock puppet are you then?
Dordie himself perhaps


would i have taken the time to set up
an email address and create a fake id?

according to you in a previous post, people
wouldn't do that

so what makes you think I've
done it?

:rofl: :rofl:

Bethany
1st September 2004, 20:42
I really loved my school unniform. It was royal blue blazer with badge, navy pleeted skirt, black stockings, black flat shoes and black hat with a blue and white ribon round it. I last wore it when I was 16 and I think it would just about fit me now as I am still quite slim.

Dordie
1st September 2004, 20:57
526785 In Post 526785, Bethany said:
I really loved my school unniform. It was royal blue blazer with badge, navy pleeted skirt, black stockings, black flat shoes and black hat with a blue and white ribon round it. I last wore it when I was 16 and I think it would just about fit me now as I am still quite slim.


Was the skirt nice and short? Did it flair out when you pirouetted? :g3

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 21:16
I liked my uniform too, althought i went to a catholic school so we were't allowed short skirts.

Sara xxx

Dordie
1st September 2004, 21:26
526816 In Post 526816, LadyLush said:
I liked my uniform too, althought i went to a catholic school so we were't allowed short skirts.

Sara xxx


I've heard about Catholic girls.....and I like what I hear. :game: ;-)

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 21:28
what exactly have you heard :q5

Sara xxx

Dordie
1st September 2004, 21:30
526830 In Post 526830, LadyLush said:
what exactly have you heard :q5

Sara xxx


Well! Let's say you have a pet canine and keep him locked up.....What's it do when it's released? :ner: w:6

somanyways
1st September 2004, 22:11
526760 In Post 526760, Deja Vu said:
would i have taken the time to set up
an email address and create a fake id?

according to you in a previous post, people
wouldn't do that

so what makes you think I've
done it?

:rofl: :rofl:


perhaps as that would provide the perfect cover...

LinuxPenguin
1st September 2004, 22:17
526727 In Post 526727, LadyLush said:
Pack it in you two :*angry:

Sara xxx


Sorry Miss Lush!

Dont make me stand in the corner!!!! :rofl:

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 23:18
526833 In Post 526833, Dordie said:
Well! Let's say you have a pet canine and keep him locked up.....What's it do when it's released? :ner: w:6

I'm not a catholic, i just went to a catholic school. However i doubt if what you've heard is true.

Sara xxx

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 23:20
526900 In Post 526900, LinuxPenguin said:
Sorry Miss Lush!

Dont make me stand in the corner!!!! :rofl:

I will sunshine, so you had just better behave yourself.

Sara xxx

Dordie
1st September 2004, 23:21
526963 In Post 526963, LadyLush said:
I'm not a catholic, i just went to a catholic school. However i doubt if what you've heard is true.

Sara xxx


You look a lovely family and your bloke has a great smile. xxx

LadyLush
1st September 2004, 23:25
thanks Dordie, you're a sweetheart.

Sara xxx

The Teacher
2nd September 2004, 01:32
7:15 thats bloody ridiculous!!!!

Too right. Far too late to be getting up in a morning. I get up at 0545hrs, each and every day of the year.

The Teacher

Deja Vu
2nd September 2004, 09:01
526894 In Post 526894, somanyways said:
perhaps as that would provide the perfect cover...


your not all there, are you? :loopy:

Calidore
2nd September 2004, 12:17
school uniforms are a shocking waste of money

LadyLush
2nd September 2004, 12:50
Its cheaper to keep your kids in school uniform than it is to keep them in other types of clothes, school shirts are 3 for 5 in tescos, and skirts/trousers start at 3.

Sara xxx

Mischief
2nd September 2004, 13:33
i think my school uniform is good

what i had to wear @ primary was realy posh



primary
blazer (summer)
duffle coat(winter)
vneck jumper
shirt
tie
summer dress (summer)
boa hat
skirt
flat school shoes

secondary
any coat
pullover
poloshirt(in summer)
trousers or skirt
tie(in winter)
resonable heeled shoes




work it out for yourself!




mischief

Monodactyl
2nd September 2004, 15:11
I still wear mine. :-|

Bill. MC
2nd September 2004, 15:22
527166 In Post 527166, Monodactyl said:
I still wear mine. :-|


Is this in order to do your Angus Young impersonation?

Monodactyl
2nd September 2004, 16:10
527170 In Post 527170, Bill. MC said:
Is this in order to do your Angus Young impersonation?
I'd need a fistful of amphetamines as well.... the guy never stops moving. :D

ronniex
2nd September 2004, 16:58
527166 In Post 527166, Monodactyl said:
I still wear mine. :-|



Course you do you dollop of donkey diarrhoea . Every time the Nonces Association has a get together.

Bill. MC
2nd September 2004, 18:01
527177 In Post 527177, Monodactyl said:
I'd need a fistful of amphetamines as well.... the guy never stops moving. :D


Do you use a real guitar or a cardboard cut-out version?

somanyways
2nd September 2004, 19:21
hmm lost quote... how careless of me