PDA

View Full Version : Sex Education at Schools

Bill. MC
30th August 2004, 22:52
Should it include a day trip to Laup's gay sauna, so that kids can learn about homosexuality?

The Teacher
31st August 2004, 01:47
We HAVE to teach kids about homosexuality anyway, so it wouldn't make sod (no pun) all difference.

All in the name of equality and love. Nothing to do with reproduction.

The Teacher

Laup
31st August 2004, 08:05
525848 In Post 525848, The Teacher said:
We HAVE to teach kids about homosexuality anyway,

Good may be they wont be as bigoted as the previous generations

The Teacher
1st September 2004, 00:44
Nothing to do with bigotry at all, as most kids will pick up from their parents and peers who they dislike and don't dislike.

The purpose of sex education these days is to teach about reproduction and safe sex, where to go if you pick something up, where to go for pregnancy advise etc., etc., etc..

BUT we then have to talk about homosexual relationships. Now, I am not being funny, but that is something I am not comfortable with. Personally I think teachers should be given a choice on the matter, and those that don't want to teach that aspect should be allowed not to.

The Teacher

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 01:22
525848 In Post 525848, The Teacher said:

All in the name of equality and love. Nothing to do with reproduction.

Sorry if it offends your Catholic sensibilities, Teach, but with over six billion people in the world, I'm not sure that promoting the idea that sex should be solely for reproduction is such a good idea.

Bethany
1st September 2004, 01:34
526343 In Post 526343, Chris Mitchell said:
Sorry if it offends your Catholic sensibilities, Teach, but with over six billion people in the world, I'm not sure that promoting the idea that sex should be solely for reproduction is such a good idea.

Sex is ever so lovely though Chris between two people who really truley love each other and kiss and cuddle and say nice things but it should not be too rude as this can spoil the beauty of it all.

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 02:00
Bethany, sweetheart! Welcome back - I hope you had a lovely holiday :love:

River Poison
1st September 2004, 03:18
Yeah, sex is good. Erm, I mean... ah...

Nimuae
1st September 2004, 08:07
Hey - I was taught by Nuns and overly religious academics who blushed if they had to tell us that mushrooms had spores! They could never have coped with the theory that sex could be fun, and as for homosexuallity - in league with the devil and definately not up for discussion!

The were so up tight about the subject that, just before the Christmas Ball (the only time we ever saw a boy - though some of the Nuns could have used a razor!), we were given this priceless piece of advice........."Girls, if we run out of chairs and you have to sit on the lap of a boy - make sure that you put a newspaper there first."......... and this was in the so called swinging sixties!!!!

Nimuae
1st September 2004, 08:12
PS: I do think someone should do the little dears a favour though - and teach them the difference between "having sex" and "making love", - it matters!

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 10:24
526379 In Post 526379, Nimuae said:
PS: I do think someone should do the little dears a favour though - and teach them the difference between "having sex" and "making love", - it matters!

Very true - but can it be "taught"?

I remember at 14 or 15 being very aware of my sexual feelings, and desperately wanting to have sex (I had to wait another four years, though), but I could never understand romantic novels where people couldn't eat or sleep, or wanted to kill themselves for the love of someone else. I simply didn't have a clue what "being in love" felt like - surely it was just fancying someone, but more so?

A year later I did fall hopelessly in love, and I couldn't eat, or sleep, and would happily have given my life for them... but no-one could have taught me that a year previously.

Nimuae
1st September 2004, 10:39
What I was meaning was - they should be taught that there IS a difference - that a fumbled quickie behind the bike sheds is not ALL that there is to it! I live quite near to a large comprehensive school, have to pass it on route to bus stops, shops, etc - and some of the conversations that I unwillingly have to hear, just make me despair!

The kids there are all concerned with quantity rather than quality - and this applies to everything, not just to sex, - but there is such a lack of respect - for each other, for sex itself, for life in general. There seems to be no JOY in their lives - and I find that so sad.

Hooded Shadow
1st September 2004, 10:56
526370 In Post 526370, River Poison said:

Judging what everyone says to you here RP, i'm amazed they haven't quoted you yet and said something along the lines like this.......

526370 In Post 526370, River Poison said:

And what would you know RP?

:g8

Hooded Shadow
1st September 2004, 10:59
On attending my new super comprehensive school built just a year before i joined, there was such an uproar in the "Personal Relationships" dept (we learned about sex etc there)

The head of the dept didn't last long after i started cuz he resigned on the basis that the parents weren't happy about him teaching swear words to there children and discussing them!!

At 11 it was a bit embarrasing for us to learn so I can understand what the teacher was feeling, it was all new stuff back then, my homework was the only one i'd hide from my parents as i recall.

I would love to know whats on the curriculum nowadays, Teacher you've enlightened me.

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 11:17
526403 In Post 526403, Nimuae said:

The kids there are all concerned with quantity rather than quality - and this applies to everything, not just to sex, - but there is such a lack of respect - for each other, for sex itself, for life in general. There seems to be no JOY in their lives - and I find that so sad.

Very true, Nimuae :(

Sadly, quantity over quality seems to be the message we're all being fed in today's materialist society.

Bill. MC
1st September 2004, 11:33

I blame it all on the conditioning by consumer society and media role models. They don't know the difference between reality and media imposed fantasy.

Chris Mitchell
1st September 2004, 12:17
526436 In Post 526436, Bill. MC said:
I blame it all on the conditioning by consumer society and media role models. They don't know the difference between reality and media imposed fantasy.

I'm inclined to agree, Bill.

Dordie
1st September 2004, 12:20
"And what would you know RP?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

River Poison
1st September 2004, 14:27
526411 In Post 526411, Hooded Shadow said:
Judging what everyone says to you here RP, i'm amazed they haven't quoted you yet and said something along the lines like this.......

And what would you know RP?

:g8

Finally! I was wondering if anyone would bite :D

My answer? "Lots thanks" :rofl:

The Teacher
2nd September 2004, 01:38
Sorry if it offends your Catholic sensibilities

As I am not religious then I can't have Catholic sensibilities can I?

WRT to what HS says about the swearing etc., what I do is have ALL the swear words associated with the topic on the board and I don't say anything for a minute or two.

I then rub them out and say that is it, we have done all the swearing we are going to do and then we use only the correct terminology.

Stops stupid sniggering.

The Teacher

LadyLush
2nd September 2004, 23:21
What I was meaning was - they should be taught that there IS a difference - that a fumbled quickie behind the bike sheds is not ALL that there is to it! I live quite near to a large comprehensive school, have to pass it on route to bus stops, shops, etc - and some of the conversations that I unwillingly have to hear, just make me despair!

Not everyone is like that Nim, I met my chap when we were both 14, we have only ever slept with each other, we'll have been together for 10 years this month. I realise we are the exception not the rule but there must be other people who are the same, and I can honestly say having something special like we have and knowing not everyone has it does bring alot of joy to me and i hope him.

Sara xxx

Mischief
3rd September 2004, 10:41
i get taught sex education at school n the girls genrally take it in
but the boys just sit thier laughing @ the pictures
i really do belive girls are maturer than boys

mischief

Nimuae
3rd September 2004, 10:51
LadyLush - that is wonderful, warms my heart to read it, long may it continue!!!!!! s:12 s:12 s:12 s:12 s:12

River Poison
3rd September 2004, 23:39
527562 In Post 527562, Mischief said:
i get taught sex education at school n the girls genrally take it in
but the boys just sit thier laughing @ the pictures
i really do belive girls are maturer than boys

That's rather a gross generalisation. Pretty fair though :D

The Teacher
4th September 2004, 00:11
Scientific fact though.

Girls do mature earlier than boys and that is seen in their outlook at school.

It is very, very rare that I will have girls trying to ponce around in class but boys do it all the time.

As for what Mischief says, quite true as well.

The Teacher

Fork Me
5th September 2004, 15:03
QUOTE: In Post 526329, The Teacher said:
Nothing to do with bigotry at all, as most kids will pick up from their parents and peers who they dislike and don't dislike.
Very true.

The purpose of sex education these days is to teach about reproduction and safe sex, where to go if you pick something up, where to go for pregnancy advise etc., etc., etc..

I think there's more to it than that, a lot more.

In our school the physical side of sex education is taught in science lessons as part of the science national curriculum. An "open forum" lesson where the children's questions will be answered is written into our Year 7 scheme of work. The kids have the options of asking questions in the lesson (via a raised hand) or anonymously via a "question box" which sits in the room during the earlier lessons. It is explained that we will answer as many questions as we are able, but there are some questions we may not be able to answer in front of the whole class. They are also invited to ask questions privately if they would rather. The vast majority ask via the question box.

PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) is taught in our school by the form tutor, there is a Sex edication module in every year group, from 7 right through to 11. Physical aspects are also taught here, along with emotional problems that can be expected going through puberty, contraception (including "condom skills"), STDs and also a lot of work on relationships and morality. Not forcing any view on the kids, but giving them a chance to discuss various views. A (some would say suprisingly) large number of them see sex as a part of a loving relationship. We also teach the legal aspect, especially the age of consent, while stressing that this law doesn't mean you have to jump into bed as soon as you are 16! Our groups also get a talk by a group promoting celibacy before marriage as a life choice. My tutor group enter their final year at school this term and I have stressed to them that the work we do on contraception doesn't mean we are encouraging them to start douing it. I've told them openly that I'd much rather they weren't doing it yet, but if they are I want them to be doing it safely.

Fork ME

Fork Me
5th September 2004, 15:04
QUOTE: In Post 526379, Nimuae said:

Agreed. At our school the topic of "relationships" is a huge part of our sex education.

Fork Me

Fork Me
5th September 2004, 15:06
QUOTE: In Post 526403, Nimuae said:

Yes, but you have to remember that a groups of kids (both boys and girls) talking are very image conscious and will often say what they think their friend want them to hear rather than what is true.

A lot less of them have actually had sex than the number that claim to their friends that they have!

When I was 14, none of us would have admitted to being a virgin, even though the vast majority of us were.

Fork Me

Fork Me
5th September 2004, 15:09
QUOTE: In Post 527039, The Teacher said:
As I am not religious then I can't have Catholic sensibilities can I?

WRT to what HS says about the swearing etc., what I do is have ALL the swear words associated with the topic on the board and I don't say anything for a minute or two.

I then rub them out and say that is it, we have done all the swearing we are going to do and then we use only the correct terminology.

Stops stupid sniggering.

The Teacher

An excellent plan and one I may use with my Year 11 tutor group this year. :)

I also tend to get a lot of the jokes in before them as well. Lightens the atmosphere and means you can then get on with less disturbance!

Fork Me

The Teacher
5th September 2004, 23:39
You did notice the etc., etc., etc. at the end of my point, did you not, Fork Me?

I teach PSHE, to my form and to the school as a whole. I am one of only 3 qualified in the school to teach this unit in PSHE. What happens is when it is a certain forms turn to have this unit, someone will take my form, the whole school does tutor work at the same time, and I will take the form doing this unit.

In science the unit isn't started for humans until Y8.

The Teacher

Fork Me
6th September 2004, 06:54
528610 In Post 528610, The Teacher said:
You did notice the etc., etc., etc. at the end of my point, did you not, Fork Me?

I did, yes, but it struck me that some of the more important elements were hidden in that "etc etc".

In science the unit isn't started for humans until Y8.

The Teacher

We moved it forwards into Year 7 a few years ago.

Fork Me