PDA

View Full Version : Summer??

Scrotnig
16th August 2004, 21:22
What's the matter with our weather?

At one point last week, it didn't stop raining torrentially for almost three whole days and nights. It felt like a scene from Noah's ark. What the hell is going on?

Plus of course, the poncy environmentalists are out, saying it's wet because of global warming and we must all give up our cars. Last year, it was DRY because of global warming, and we must all give up our cars! Come on chaps, at least keep your offensive politically-correct claptrap consistent!!

Memnoch
16th August 2004, 21:52
you know what, if people don't like the weather in this country, they can piss off to somewhere they prefer. Somewhere with monsoons, hurricanes, tidal waves, droughts, blizzards, sandstorms, whatever they fancy. This is the only country in the world where you can go out of your house totally unprepared on any day of the year and be reasonably confident that whatever the weather does in the next few hours it probably won't kill you.

Chief Wahoo
16th August 2004, 21:56
520264 In Post 520264, Mark.B said:

At one point last week, it didn't stop raining torrentially for almost three whole days and nights. It felt like a scene from Noah's ark. What the hell is going on?

Plus of course, the poncy environmentalists are out, saying it's wet because of global warming and we must all give up our cars. Last year, it was DRY because of global warming, and we must all give up our cars! Come on chaps, at least keep your offensive politically-correct claptrap consistent!!

You clearly don't understand the message of the green lobby.

You are probably the sort who drives everywhere without a thought for people who will have to live with the consequences of your actions in a hundred years time.

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:12
520269 In Post 520269, Memnoch said:
you know what, if people don't like the weather in this country, they can piss off to somewhere they prefer. Somewhere with monsoons, hurricanes, tidal waves, droughts, blizzards, sandstorms, whatever they fancy. This is the only country in the world where you can go out of your house totally unprepared on any day of the year and be reasonably confident that whatever the weather does in the next few hours it probably won't kill you.

Someone else said exactly the same thing somewhere else, someone who is also 41 today. Spooky.

Sara xxx

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:14
520271 In Post 520271, Chief Wahoo said:
You are probably the sort who drives everywhere without a thought for people who will have to live with the consequences of your actions in a hundred years time.

Well if none of us are going to have to live with the consequences, where is the incentive to do anything about it?
I don't drive anywhere ever, because i'm not capable.

Sara xxx

Katitude
16th August 2004, 22:17
520269 In Post 520269, Memnoch said:

Have to agree with Memnoch here.

I'm quite happy being where I am, along with our weather.

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:22
520282 In Post 520282, Katitude said:
Have to agree with Memnoch here.

I'm quite happy being where I am, along with our weather.

Too right. Although I wouldn't mind not being in Birmingham.

Sara xxx

Scrotnig
16th August 2004, 22:25
I could probably cope with the weather a lot better if I didn't live in such a ghastly provincial shithole as Manchester!

Fork Me
16th August 2004, 22:29
520286 In Post 520286, Mark.B said:
I could probably cope with the weather a lot better if I didn't live in such a ghastly provincial shithole as Manchester!

Funny you should say that, it's been quite nice down here.

The odd light shower we've had has actually been quite refreshing, it's been so hot!

Fork Me

Chris Mitchell
16th August 2004, 22:30

It is consistent.

Environmentalists point out that weather is a chaotic system. When we start messing up the environment, it messes up the weather, making it more unpredictable.

Chris Mitchell
16th August 2004, 22:31
520280 In Post 520280, LadyLush said:
Well if none of us are going to have to live with the consequences, where is the incentive to do anything about it?

Your children's future?

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:32
520286 In Post 520286, Mark.B said:

I know exactly how you feel. Crap isn't it?

Sara xxx

Scrotnig
16th August 2004, 22:33
520289 In Post 520289, Chris Mitchell said:
It is consistent.

Environmentalists point out that weather is a chaotic system. When we start messing up the environment, it messes up the weather, making it more unpredictable.
But British summers have always been inconsistent.

A quick Google will reveal that it snowed in July 1970!

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:33
520290 In Post 520290, Chris Mitchell said:
Your children's future?

I doubt my children will still be alive in 100 years time. Anyway I recycle, I don't drive and I only fart if i really have to.

Sara xxx

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:34
520294 In Post 520294, Mark.B said:

Did you knowthat the Summer months only have 20% less rain than the Winter months in Britain?

Also did you know that i am a fountain of useless facts?

Sara xxx

Chris Mitchell
16th August 2004, 22:42
520295 In Post 520295, LadyLush said:
I doubt my children will still be alive in 100 years time. Anyway I recycle, I don't drive and I only fart if i really have to.

Sara xxx

Your grandchildren may well be, though.

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:45
:mygod: I'm 24 I don't even want to think about it, i'll kill them if they make me a grandmother.

Sara xxx

Chris Mitchell
16th August 2004, 22:46
520294 In Post 520294, Mark.B said:

True, British weather has always been odd. However, I'd be interested to know if the freak weather - I'm not talking snow, but things like tornadoes in Selsey, hurricanes and the like - is more common now than it was in the early part of the 20th century?

And conditions like skin cancer have rocketed worldwide - getting a "nice healthy tan" is no longer an option. Again, was it always dangerous to go sunbathing, and we just didn't know any better in the 1960s? Or is there actually more UV getting through now?

Chris Mitchell
16th August 2004, 22:47
520299 In Post 520299, LadyLush said:
:mygod: I'm 24 I don't even want to think about it, i'll kill them if they make me a grandmother.

Sara xxx

LOL! Don't worry Sara - it's already pretty cool to be a grannie. By the time you reach that age, it will be goddess-like to be a grannie!

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:50
520300 In Post 520300, Chris Mitchell said:
True, British weather has always been odd. However, I'd be interested to know if the freak weather - I'm not talking snow, but things like tornadoes in Selsey, hurricanes and the like - is more common now than it was in the early part of the 20th century?

And conditions like skin cancer have rocketed worldwide - getting a "nice healthy tan" is no longer an option. Again, was it always dangerous to go sunbathing, and we just didn't know any better in the 1960s? Or is there actually more UV getting through now?

I'll be alright then i'm so white its not even funny.

Sra xxx

LadyLush
16th August 2004, 22:51
520301 In Post 520301, Chris Mitchell said:
LOL! Don't worry Sara - it's already pretty cool to be a grannie. By the time you reach that age, it will be goddess-like to be a grannie!

Thanks Chris I feel so much better :D

Sara xxx

Memnoch
17th August 2004, 03:41
520278 In Post 520278, LadyLush said:
Someone else said exactly the same thing somewhere else, someone who is also 41 today. Spooky.

Sara xxx

It wasn't someone else, it was me. Everyone knows it's me. You're the only one who thinks you're telling anyone anything they don't know. The difference between your sock-puppets and mine is I don't lie about them. :rolleyes:

Memnoch
17th August 2004, 03:47
520299 In Post 520299, LadyLush said:
I'm 24
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LadyLush
17th August 2004, 10:01
520356 In Post 520356, Memnoch said:
It wasn't someone else, it was me. Everyone knows it's me. You're the only one who thinks you're telling anyone anything they don't know. The difference between your sock-puppets and mine is I don't lie about them. :rolleyes:
Hello Rab :) i haven't got any, anywhere I honestly haven't. You've made a mistake. Check with whoever you need to because I really haven't got any. I didn't know it was you until you posted the same thing here as you did there then I realised.

Sara xxx

LadyLush
17th August 2004, 10:02
520357 In Post 520357, Memnoch said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am 24 you baffoon.

Sara xxx

Fork Me
17th August 2004, 23:22
520288 In Post 520288, Fork Me said:
Funny you should say that, it's been quite nice down here.

The odd light shower we've had has actually been quite refreshing, it's been so hot!

Fork Me

I take it back.

I just got fucking soaked during the 2 minute walk home from the pub.

Looks like we finally got the rain you lot have been getting.

Fork Me

Dordie
17th August 2004, 23:31
520746 In Post 520746, Fork Me said:
I take it back.

I just got fucking soaked during the 2 minute walk home from the pub.

Looks like we finally got the rain you lot have been getting.

Fork Me

Nice one. :j1

Bill. MC
18th August 2004, 14:06

Maybe this might answer your question:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3570602.stm

There is a great deal of controversy just now about the causes of Global Warming and it seems as if cyclical changes in the Earth's climate combined with the increase in carbon dioxide since pre-industrial times are the causes. The above link said that it is up by 34%. GW does not necessarily mean that the weather will be hot and dry all the time, but it will certainly be unstable, as you have noticed.

BTW IMO if effective steps are to be taken to deal with GM, then more than merely giving up our cars will be necessary. As far as the contribution to GM by burning fossel fuels is concerned, the biggest factor will be the emerging industrialised nations such as India and China. Their populations are vast, so just imagine the impact that their industrialisation may have. :o

Chris Mitchell
18th August 2004, 15:20
520865 In Post 520865, Bill. MC said:
As far as the contribution to GM by burning fossel fuels is concerned, the biggest factor will be the emerging industrialised nations such as India and China. Their populations are vast, so just imagine the impact that their industrialisation may have. :o

Oh yes - we ain't seen NOTHIN' yet...

Dordie
18th August 2004, 16:54
520872 In Post 520872, Chris Mitchell said:
Oh yes - we ain't seen NOTHIN' yet...

As long as No Neck at 11 Downing st. doesn't tax the British for all the ills of the world, I don't give a shit....why? because there's rugger all we can do about it.

Bill. MC
18th August 2004, 17:11
520877 In Post 520877, Dordie said:
As long as No Neck at 11 Downing st. doesn't tax the British for all the ills of the world, I don't give a shit....why? because there's rugger all we can do about it.

Even without increased fuel tax, oil prices are set to rise due to market pressure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3576294.stm

Increase in demand by nations such as China is the cause. Demand for oil by China has increased by 40% during past year.