PDA

View Full Version : NASA timelapse shows melting Arctic ice

Plutonium
27th February 2018, 13:25
NASA has released a timelapse of images showing how Arctic ice has diminished in the period 1984-2016.

This doesn't just show the extent of the ice, but its thickness. It shows that not only is the ice reducing in area, but its thickness is diminishing also.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/science/nasa-releases-timelapse-showing-arctic-sea-ice-disappearing/vi-BBJDHzY

Luna
27th February 2018, 19:40
I wonder what impact it would have if we lost the polar caps all together?

Extinction of Polar Bear and Penguins certainly.

bill jarvis
27th February 2018, 20:18
NASA has released a timelapse of images showing how Arctic ice has diminished in the period 1984-2016.

This doesn't just show the extent of the ice, but its thickness. It shows that not only is the ice reducing in area, but its thickness is diminishing also.
I think we should all leave our fridge doors open for a week, to cool the earth down a bit.

Ps, (for the pedantic) I know a fridge creates heat as well and would counter any benefits.

Memnoch
28th February 2018, 13:10
I wonder what impact it would have if we lost the polar caps all together?There's no "if" about it. Polar ice caps are the exception rather than the rule. For most of Earth's history there has been no ice. There have been five major ice ages, including the one we're in now, in the last 2 billion years. Over that timescale the Earth has been ice-free for about 90% of the time. It just so happens that the human race has existed entirely within an ice age, so for us (and polar bears) ice is normal, but for the Earth itself, ice is relatively unusual.

Plutonium
2nd March 2018, 12:06

Extinction of those species, yes. But the major impact would of course be a catastrophic rise in sea levels, wiping out many of the earth's most populated areas. And that's something which people like Mem overlook. The earth's climate has been warmer in the past, but sea levels were higher and in those times, there were no humans.

bill jarvis
2nd March 2018, 13:37

Certainly Polar Bears, not too sure about Penguins.

Lord Ponsonby
2nd March 2018, 15:21
The price of petrol would go through the roof. Leftie bus users would go around keying cars.

Okami Itto
2nd March 2018, 20:36

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/science/nasa-releases-timelapse-showing-arctic-sea-ice-disappearing/vi-BBJDHzY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXCv6HoWsAAT8S8.png:large

This just in: The recent spike in Arctic warmth causes alarmism in the forums...

They could have showed 2007 (the denialists favourite) and today, that would paint a different picture. They were 'melting' in the thirties yet by the seventies it was an ice-age scare. It tends to follow the natural cycle of warming and cooling that we see in the historical temperature datasets.

Here's Tom with the weather:

Okami Itto
2nd March 2018, 21:38

It's nearing the winter maximum and moving towards the median ice edge of the period roughly the same as the NASA satellite pictures.

Plutonium
3rd March 2018, 11:41
I do find it irritating that you fail to provide links for all your graphs and maps, Okami. It's a matter of courtesy IMO.

I'm not denying that there are natural changes in climate. However the retreat of the ice caps since satellite records began, tied in with all the other evidence for global warming, is alarming.

Okami Itto
5th March 2018, 07:33
I do find it irritating that you fail to provide links for all your graphs and maps, Okami. It's a matter of courtesy IMO.

I'm not denying that there are natural changes in climate. However the retreat of the ice caps since satellite records began, tied in with all the other evidence for global warming, is alarming.

Irritating. I'm good like that :) All the graphs and maps have titles on them, I can go back and rustle up a link or two.

Can I just add that it was pretty poor timing from NASA (and you), while alligators are frozen in Florida and Europe is freezing we're to believe that the ice is 'melting' in the Arctic.

What evidence for global warming are you talking about.

Dr Roy Spencer at the University of Alabama and Huntsville (UAH) has released the satellite data. This measures every inch of the entire troposphere, the very place where all this 'warming' is happening. Except it isn't:

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/uah_lt_1979_thru_february_2018_v6.jpg?w=1440&h=830

No net warming this Century.The pause is back and it now looks like we're cooling.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2018/03/uah-global-temperature-update-for-february-2018-0-20-deg-c/

Luna
5th March 2018, 11:04
Water freezes - alligators do not - they have more sense.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/alligators-frozen-swamp-shallotte-ice

Okami Itto
5th March 2018, 18:32
Water freezes - alligators do not - they have more sense.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/alligators-frozen-swamp-shallotte-ice

They are marvellous, so not frozen dead but frozen to the top of a swamp for a few days.

Okami Itto
6th March 2018, 18:59

What about this change in climate?

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/stdata_show.cgi?id=620040300000&ds=7&dt=1

See how they've cooled the thirties and destroyed the history of climate change.

They were looking at the arctic way before 'records began' (1979).

The 1990 IPCC report had NOAA Antarctic and Arctic sea ice satellite records back to the Early 1970’s. It showed that Antarctic sea ice extent was very low in the late 1970’s.
33097 33098
http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/far/wg_I/ipcc_far_wg_I_full_report.pdf

NOAA now pretends all of their satellite data prior to 1979 doesn’t exist, because it wrecks their fake graph showing Arctic sea ice linearly declining.

https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/far/wg_I/ipcc_far_wg_I_chapter_07.pdf

Scrotnig
7th March 2018, 00:47
Lefties don't have much of an answer.

Dordie
7th March 2018, 08:39

And not much of a leader.

Luna
7th March 2018, 17:46
And not much of a leader.
'
I believe 'leaders' became extinct some years ago, Dordie !

Dordie
7th March 2018, 18:44
'
I believe 'leaders' became extinct some years ago, Dordie !

Oh good, when is it Corbyn's turn?

superwoman
7th March 2018, 21:46

Soon.................hopefully:D

Plutonium
11th March 2018, 08:30
Irritating. I'm good like that :)

Well at least we agree on something.

Can I just add that it was pretty poor timing from NASA (and you), while alligators are frozen in Florida and Europe is freezing we're to believe that the ice is 'melting' in the Arctic.

What evidence for global warming are you talking about.

This illustrates the consistent mistaken thinking of climate change denialists. I have persistently pointed out to you that climate change is not linear. Each year is not consistently warmer than the last. It is the overall trend over many years that we need to look it. If you like, climate change is something you see in your rear view mirror, not through your windscreen.

A second point is that climate change is a global phenomenon. It is not just temperatures in one area that we need to look at, but the average of temperatures throughout the world. So you cannot point to a cold snap in the North East USA, or the Beast from the East in the UK, as evidence that climate change is not occurring. In fact, some models of global warming predict that the UK's climate will become colder, because the Gulf Stream will become weaker or even stop.

Plutonium
11th March 2018, 08:34
This just in: The recent spike in Arctic warmth causes alarmism in the forums...

They could have showed 2007 (the denialists favourite) and today, that would paint a different picture. They were 'melting' in the thirties yet by the seventies it was an ice-age scare. It tends to follow the natural cycle of warming and cooling that we see in the historical temperature datasets.

Just stepping back a second if that's okay ...

Are you now accepting that Arctic sea ice has been retreating over the past 35 years, albeit that you believe that it's part of a natural cycle of warming and cooling?

Because that's a different line from the one you were taking before, which was that Arctic sea ice has changed little in this period.

Plutonium
11th March 2018, 08:36

Try mine. HTH.

Plutonium
11th March 2018, 08:40

Talking of Corbyn, it's interesting that Jeremy Corbyn's older brother Piers Corbyn is a professional meteorologist. He is also a staunch climate change denialist.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/24/piers-corbyn-other-rebel-in-the-family-jeremy-corbyn-climate-change

I clashed with him on a Labour Party message list some years ago. He was saying that global warming was nonsense. "Did you know who started this? Margaret Thatcher!". I pointed out to him that it didn't really matter whether Mrs Thatcher took on the cause of climate change, what was important was if it was scientifically correct.

Scrotnig
11th March 2018, 10:26
My argument has always been that the planet warms and cools in cycles, and thus is natural. It is certainly nothing to do with people in the UK driving to work or turning the heating on when it's cold, yet it is these people who are punished and taxed to the hilt for it. It's a scam.

Plutonium
11th March 2018, 15:27
My argument has always been that the planet warms and cools in cycles, and thus is natural. It is certainly nothing to do with people in the UK driving to work or turning the heating on when it's cold, yet it is these people who are punished and taxed to the hilt for it. It's a scam.

Nobody has denied that there are natural cycles of warming and cooling. That doesn't mean that there isn't also an anthropogenic element in the current period of warming. We need to follow the evidence, not just moan about taxes.

Lord Ponsonby
11th March 2018, 20:00

Yes indeed. Gullible fools like the sweeper up have been duped into believing that the climate should always stay the same.