PDA

View Full Version : !963

Dordie
19th December 2016, 09:42
Was an infamous year. One to forget. My first marriage went tits up when she took off for a new life elsewhere, her Mother never did like me. Several of my so called friends liked her though.....I was to find out later. I was busy driving bricks all over the place.....until it set in.

The Winter of 1963

It froze solid for 3 months without letting up. Football was not possible, I don't know what happened with the leagues, I forget.

It froze for 3 solid months without a thaw. I went home to my Parents house and left mine for later.
I was not about to drive unheated lorries all over the place so I went into the Hotpoint factory, working in the fridge compressor shop making tiny fridge engines, the temperature had to be kept even to prevent expansion and contraction of the small components.

When a thaw eventually arrived my house flooded, thanks to a broken water pipe. It smelled for months.
Amazing what you can pack into a lifetime!

Dordie
19th December 2016, 09:45
Probably the happiest the Polar Bears had ever been. I think that was the time politicians decided it might be a good idea to make money out of weather! Who do you think they got to pay for it?

Dordie
22nd December 2016, 01:13
https://youtu.be/YaH94kAdrtw

superwoman
22nd December 2016, 08:30
1963 .... that was 'proper" snow!!!

Dordie
22nd December 2016, 09:31
1963 .... that was 'proper" snow!!!

It was rough, many had coal fired heating, central heating was not the norm as it is today. I remember I had an old black Hillman Minx held together by string and sellotape. Very few police had motors those days, they used to lurk around corners, that way one never new when they were going to get in your face.
Anybody born after '63 has no right to talk about weather, they have no idea what they are talking about, he he.
Have you ever been prevented from playing whip and top by the weather? If no then be quiet.... :*grin:

Dordie
22nd December 2016, 09:34
By the way, you would be arrested today, for carrying the whip around. :k6

sphinx
22nd December 2016, 14:50

I doubt many in here 'cept thee and me remember much about 1963....or were even born. :r5

I also remember the 1947 winter....the coldest for 300 years. :-|

Durgemeister
22nd December 2016, 15:20
I doubt many in here 'cept thee and me remember much about 1963....or were even born. :r5

I also remember the 1947 winter....the coldest for 300 years. :-|

Even before I was born (1963, not 47 !)

I get a bit panicky when the mention of storms comes up, ever since 2013. That was when storms hit the South-East (Not wintery, just wind and rain) and the rail network was at a standstill. I am normally at my destination by about 4, and that year I was in the local Iceland stocking up on emergency supplies, as I thought I would be stuck. As it was,I was lucky getting as far as Gatwick, and getting a lift from my sister !.

Chris Mitchell
22nd December 2016, 15:23
I have a very vague early memory of playing in the snow that winter - I'd have been two, nearly three at the time. But it is very vague and might be false memory syndrome.

I saw a programme about that winter, and they suggested it was that winter that finally did for canals. They still carried coal by canal back then, as it was normally a good way of carrying huge amounts of goods if the delivery wasn't time-critical, but of course a three month freeze really did bugger things up.

nicknotnicked
22nd December 2016, 16:14
I walked/slid to school in 1963, remember it well, I lived in Surrey near the Epsom Downs and I had a mile and a half walk to school, no massive Chelsea tractors for Mums then...

superwoman
22nd December 2016, 16:54
Three mile walk for me each way and one of my older brothers throwing snowballs at me all the way.

Dordie
22nd December 2016, 16:57
I walked/slid to school in 1963, remember it well, I lived in Surrey near the Epsom Downs and I had a mile and a half walk to school, no massive Chelsea tractors for Mums then...

The little fuckers don't know they are born these days....

Dordie
22nd December 2016, 17:00
Three mile walk for me each way and one of my older brothers throwing snowballs at me all the way.

You have a lovely Christmas S/W, If we find ourselves again in F/Stowe I will treat you to a ride on Scrot's train.....no bugger else could get on it thanks to him.

superwoman
22nd December 2016, 17:03
I live in a village my road is almost opposite. The primary school. It would take no mum and kids more than 5 or 6 minutes to walk to school but every day the road and side roads are crammed with cars so the little darlings don't have to wear themselves out walking to school the amount of times that I haven't been able to get out of my driveway is ridiculous.

Lord Ponsonby
22nd December 2016, 18:40
Just a 50 mile walk for me. No shoes.

nicknotnicked
22nd December 2016, 18:41

We lived in a hole in't road...

Lord Ponsonby
22nd December 2016, 18:47

Eeee that must a' bin luxury.

sphinx
22nd December 2016, 20:12

Eeee that must a' bin luxury.

etc......... :D

john barnes
22nd December 2016, 22:43
1933 and 1947 and 1963 all bad winters don't remember 33 as I was not born, and we had to walk to school over 40 miles of broken glass in our bare feet every day to get to school, all softies these days

superwoman
22nd December 2016, 23:10
You have a lovely Christmas S/W

Thanks Dordie and you too.

superwoman
22nd December 2016, 23:13
If we find ourselves again in F/Stowe I will treat you to a ride on Scrot's train....

You're on.