PDA

View Full Version : Destruction of opposition

Reg Perrin
7th April 2016, 11:44
https://www.facebook.com/185180654855189/photos/a.389966974376555.89655.185180654855189/1159361664103745/?type=3

So true

Calidore
7th April 2016, 12:32
who are the top exploiters who sprang from the working class? cleaning companies, security-firms?

who else. I can't think of any. I mean you could put landlords in there but they weren't taken from the solidaristic working classes.

Lord Ponsonby
7th April 2016, 12:43
How about we campaign to drive all contract cleaning companies out of business and all the staff can go on the dole. That suit you?

Reg Perrin
7th April 2016, 13:29
who are the top exploiters who sprang from the working class? cleaning companies, security-firms?

who else. I can't think of any. I mean you could put landlords in there but they weren't taken from the solidaristic working classes.
G4S are the best example. Back in the ,70's they were just a security firm providing security guards, they now run prisons and have been caught out for corruption more than once.

Dordie
7th April 2016, 13:50
https://www.facebook.com/185180654855189/photos/a.389966974376555.89655.185180654855189/1159361664103745/?type=3

So true

Left wing bullshit....Vote UKIP.

Reg Perrin
7th April 2016, 14:15
There is a constant battle between local authority adult services and hospitals on one hand and private care providers for the elderly on the other. These firms, who employ carers on zero hour contracts give the carers 10 minutes per visit to the elderly with no traveling time catered for between visits. They win the contracts then renege on their commitment. Mrs Perrin recently complained to our commissioning services when she came across a "carer" whose child she had removed for serious child abuse, caring for vulnerable adults. It transpired the private care company simply hadn't bothered to pay the costs of dbs checks (police checks). Complaining about action that might lead to contractors losing their contracts is so stupidly naive and ignorant it's not even worth responding to directly.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 14:22
horrid. what a way to liive.

Scrotnig
7th April 2016, 14:24
G4S or Group 4 Securicor as they used be known, are arguably the most inept and corrupt private contractor there is, though ATOS do give them a run for their money.

It is worth noting that many of G4S's security contracts in the public sector were awarded by the previous Labour government, who shameful seemed just as keen in privatising everything as the Tories.

Corbyn has yet to commit to full renationalisation of such services. I hope he does.

BobBobson
7th April 2016, 14:43
https://www.facebook.com/185180654855189/photos/a.389966974376555.89655.185180654855189/1159361664103745/?type=3 So true

Yeah...was talking about this the other day with my girlfriend as we were watching some documentary on student rebellion/protests in the US during the late 60s, early 70s. She mentioned that her mother always talks about the political activism that was abound in her student years in Germany, and anyone from this country will surely remember the 'radical' political student movements that were flourishing in this country during the same time period.

My childhood however, was in the 80's, the economy was booming, apparently, but just not in my home town and many other towns throughout Scotland and the North of England. During the late 80s, early 90s, I think I can safely say that the popular consensus towards anyone who was highly political was that they were a bit of 'weirdo'. Not cool. A Beardy Weirdy. Strange how these trends can totally reverse upon themselves in such a short space of time and how the British educated youth went from being political ideologists to quite frankly, a bunch of consumerist snotty tossers.

Only really in the post 9/11 world, that it has been becoming cool again to be politicised, and to actually a give a shit. Difference these days however, is that we are a much more fragmented society. The once powerful organisations from which much of 'the peoples voice' came, have been emasculated, and whilst loads of people feel within there comfort zone posting youtube links or commenting on 'infowars.com', there are no longer any actual organised political movements, which people belong to and furthermore, people have totally lost the habit of contributing and/or belonging to any such group/movement.

I am tempted to think that everything I describe above, is very much a desired consequence of Neo-liberal policy throughout the Western world. We can say 'twas Thatcher wot done it' in this country, but who dunnit everywhere else? I would also go further than blaming Thatcher, and also suggest that the 'liberal left' have also played there part, in terms of promoting social changes and political correctness, that effectively erode traditional values, with a special focus on attacking and emasculating the 'majority male' aspect of society. If a general of an invading army could engineer just one social change in a population of a land he intended to conquer, it would be to make the native men of that culture powerless. Take away their voices. Turn them into a bunch of pussy whipped shitebags. The reality is of course more subtle than that but I don't think anyone can deny that changes along those lines have most definitely been unfolding over the past 30 years. And of course, their is no general with an invading army moving his battalions around the borders, but there is corporate globalisation. If the goals of corporate globalisation (another word for Neo Liberalism is to acheive it's goals, then 'nationalism' must be crushed and it is always the 'male aspect' of any society, from which strong nationalistic tendencies emerge, therefore, break down the family unit, emasculate the males, promote LGBT, promote Mulit Kulti, etc etc....

Landlords are right up there at the very pinnacle of parasitic give nothing, create nothing, take everything, 'professions', which would not be a viable means of growing capital if not for the checks n balances being removed from the financial institutions, thus allowing them to create a massive debt bubble, upon which soaring housing costs are based.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 14:59
landlordism is a good way to make money, I couldn't survive without it.

Dordie
7th April 2016, 15:00

So true

Why don't you say the Tories (aka Cameron, Osborne and Hunt) are treating us like nothing more than shit. That would not be bullshit.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 15:04
not everyone has the skills, though.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 15:05
and through it I'm doing quite nicely with a promise of more to come.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 15:07
we all have to move with the times.

Calidore
7th April 2016, 15:10
what was all that crap about invading armies Bob? we've fought more foreign wars since Thatcher than before her since the war.

Reg Perrin
7th April 2016, 16:00
Yeah...was talking about this the other day with my girlfriend as we were watching some documentary on student rebellion/p*******************************************ry pinnacle of parasitic give nothing, create nothing, take everything, 'professions', which would not be a viable means of growing capital if not for the checks n balances being removed from the financial institutions, thus allowing them to create a massive debt bubble, upon which soaring housing costs are based.

As a Union rep it totally pisses me off that the members don't actually see the connection between themselves and "the union"...I think they see the union, not as themselves but as some big remote organisation like the United Nations or ACAS which has some kind of natural parity and power with the employers which doesn't actually include, depend on or even involve them. Today has been a prime example...the news that NI contributions will reduce our wages by about 40 a month was greeted with anger (by those who bothered their arses to keep abreast of such events) but when the Union Newsletter outlining the fact that the employers had rejected the Unions request for a 1 year rise of 1% (a cut) rather than a 2 year agreement (a double cut) and that the mandate for strike action was now going to be acted upon, they were fuckin pissed off!!! "Fuckin Union losing us a days pay".....they don't deserve fuckin representation....

Dordie
7th April 2016, 16:51
As a Union rep it totally pisses me off that the members don't actually see the connection between themselves and "the union"...I think they see the union, not as themselves but as some big remote organisation like the United Nations or ACAS which has some kind of natural parity and power with the employers which doesn't actually include, depend on or even involve them. Today has been a prime example...the news that NI contributions will reduce our wages by about 40 a month was greeted with anger (by those who bothered their arses to keep abreast of such events) but when the Union Newsletter outlining the fact that the employers had rejected the Unions request for a 1 year rise of 1% (a cut) rather than a 2 year agreement (a double cut) and that the mandate for strike action was now going to be acted upon, they were fuckin pissed off!!! "Fuckin Union losing us a days pay".....they don't deserve fuckin representation....

Roughly translated means:- We can't fuck them about and use them as political tools like we used to.

Reg Perrin
7th April 2016, 17:48
Roughly translated means:- We can't fuck them about and use them as political tools like we used to.

No, in reality, as Bob has suggested there has been a change in mentality.

Bill. MC
8th April 2016, 23:20

but the unions were a bunch of cowards. They certainly engaged in many battles while the left wing Labour party was in government during the 1970s - then when Thatcher came to power they chickened out and let her do her own thing. The exception were the miners, but Scargill let them down by refusing to make the strike legal, thus giving Thatcher the advantage.

Unions eh? IMO they are just a load of wank.

Reg Perrin
8th April 2016, 23:55
Unions eh? IMO they are just a load of wank.

If you ever worked and were in a union, the union would have been you. Have you ever worked and been part of a Trades union?

Dordie
9th April 2016, 01:03
If you ever worked and were in a union, the union would have been you. Have you ever worked and been part of a Trades union?

How can labradors be in a trade union, they haven't got a trade?

Plutonium
9th April 2016, 08:54
but the unions were a bunch of cowards. They certainly engaged in many battles while the left wing Labour party was in government during the 1970s

Tell me about it. Remember the Winter of Discontent, which handed the 1979 election to the Tories, on a plate?

- then when Thatcher came to power they chickened out and let her do her own thing.

I'm not quite sure what you expected them to do. They realised their mistake in the Winter of Discontent. And like it or not, Thatcher had a democratic mandate.

The other factor is the use by the Tories of mass unemployment as a political weapon. Unemployment hit unprecedented levels in the early Thatcher years. People who still had jobs wanted to keep them, and going on strike wasn't the best way to do that. It's easy enough for armchair historians to overlook factors like that.

In any case, there was another big industrial confrontation, apart from the miners' strike, when News International moved its operations to Wapping.

The exception were the miners, but Scargill let them down by refusing to make the strike legal, thus giving Thatcher the advantage.

It wasn't just that factor. The government had been planning things carefully, building up coal stocks. They also manipulated things so that the confrontation with the miners began in March, just as the sun was coming out and people were switching off their heating.