PDA

View Full Version : Not the right person.

Dordie
6th March 2016, 09:20
In the event the vote on the European Union is to leave, I don't think Cameron is the right person to negotiate our exit.
He is too pally with Brussels officials and basically he is totally untrustworthy.

Scrotnig
6th March 2016, 09:22
In the event the vote on the European Union is to leave, I don't think Cameron is the right person to negotiate our exit.
He is too pally with Brussels officials and basically he is totally untrustworthy.
What's to negotiate? We'd just need to tell them we're off.

Plutonium
6th March 2016, 11:42

If the vote is to leave, Cameron will likely resign. His position will be taken over by ... er what's that bloke's name, the one with the bushy blond hair?

Plutonium
6th March 2016, 11:49
What's to negotiate? We'd just need to tell them we're off.

Well Scrot, we do over half of our overseas trade with other EU members. As we'll be leaving the single market, we will have to negotiate a trade deal with the EU, if we want to continue trading with them.

If we want to export to EU countries, our goods will still have to conform to EU regulations, even though we no longer have any say in them - that's the position of Norway and Switzerland.

Only one country has ever left the EU - Greenland. Constitutionally it is part of Denmark, but is effectively self-governing. It took 3 years to complete negotiations for Greenland to leave the EU, and that's a tiny country (in population terms) of less than 60,000 people - more people live on the Isle of Man. It's going to take years to finalise negotiations for a Brexit, years of uncertainty for UK businesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35233683

Dordie
6th March 2016, 11:59
It's going to take years to finalise negotiations for a Brexit, years of uncertainty for UK businesses.

Yes, that's Cameron all over.....Threats that do not exist. Our exports are needed, they will continue.

Lord Ponsonby
6th March 2016, 11:59
If Britain leaves, within a very short time there will be no EU to negotiate with.

Roco
6th March 2016, 14:07
Yes, that's Cameron all over.....Threats that do not exist. Our exports are needed, they will continue.

And we import more goods so any attempts at unjustified attempts of punitive taxes on our goods can be met with the same on good imported

Plutonium
6th March 2016, 14:25
And we import more goods so any attempts at unjustified attempts of punitive taxes on our goods can be met with the same on good imported

So you won't be able to buy (at an affordable price), good products from the EU, and will have to buy instead something perhaps less good from a UK firm.

Dordie
6th March 2016, 16:02
So you won't be able to buy (at an affordable price), good products from the EU, and will have to buy instead something perhaps less good from a UK firm.

You didn't really think this post out, did you Plute?

Canuckistan
6th March 2016, 17:13

Many in the US argue that such a change would be a great improvement in the economy and bring back jobs that had been off-shored. It is one of Drumpf's main planks.

Personally, I think it is the effluent from the north end of a southbound bull.

Dordie
6th March 2016, 17:18
Personally, I think it is the effluent from the north end of a southbound bull.

I know an effluent bloke who lives in the North.

tony
6th March 2016, 17:21
We keep being told that it would take 'years' - and by one account ten years - to negotiate trade deals with the EU.
Maybe Greenland took 3 years to get theirs, but I doubt that Greenland was economically important to the EU, so there would have been no rush on their part.
With the UK being such a major market for the EU, they will have to conclude deals pretty quickly.

One thing worth considering: the 'Remainers' claim negotiation would take many years, yet Cameron himself recently trumpeted that he had re-negotiated our relationship with the EU. That took - let me see - two days if I remember correctly, so trade deals shouldn't take much longer.

Dordie
6th March 2016, 17:23
We keep being told that it would take 'years' - and by one account ten years - to negotiate trade deals with the EU.
Maybe Greenland took 3 years to get theirs, but I doubt that Greenland was economically important to the EU, so there would have been no rush on their part.
With the UK being such a major market for the EU, they will have to conclude deals pretty quickly.

One thing worth considering: the 'Remainers' claim negotiation would take many years, yet Cameron himself recently trumpeted that he had re-negotiated our relationship with the EU. That took - let me see - two days if I remember correctly, so trade deals shouldn't take much longer.

Cameron did fuck all in Brussels, except to ask for backing for his lies to us.

Plutonium
7th March 2016, 20:55
You didn't really think this post out, did you Plute?

Well if you think I'm wrong, then explain why. Just saying something like the above, doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid.

Plutonium
7th March 2016, 20:58

It doesn't work like that, Tony. The negotiations may last for many years. They lasted 3 years for a tiny economy like Greenland, it will be nightmare for a big economy like the UK. All goods and services will have to be looked at.

I'm often puzzled by this attitude that the EU, a huge market of over 400 milolion people (even without the UK) somehow needs us, more than we need them.

Calidore
7th March 2016, 21:00

Like what sort of goods? Miele? Siemens? The cost of vacuums ajd fridges and big German automobiles will be horrendous, but they already are.

Plutonium
7th March 2016, 21:05
Like what sort of goods? Miele? Siemens? The cost of vacuums ajd fridges and big German automobiles will be horrendous, but they already are.

Every type of goods and services you can imagine, Cali. We will no longer be automatically able to sell them in the EU, they will be subject to tariff barriers.

Chris Mitchell
8th March 2016, 01:55

So everything will just become very expensive for most people, but the government will rake in a load of import duty? Yup, I can definitely see the government going for that one.

Chris Mitchell
8th March 2016, 01:57

Quite a lot of our food, for starters.

Lord Ponsonby
8th March 2016, 07:06
I see the scaremongers have been busy. There's only one reason that the lefties are pro eu and it has nothing to do with trade.

Dordie
8th March 2016, 08:59
I reckon/fear government propaganda will get at the meek, because that is what I am reading here. The whole Brussels set up is for the benefit of politicians, it was set up by them, for them. And we pay!