PDA

View Full Version : Cyn

Reg Perrin
23rd July 2015, 22:33
Saw five of these apparently flying in military colours in apparent formation over our house tonight. I've GOT to be wrong, what the fuck could a squadron of those do?

Dordie
23rd July 2015, 23:39
Saw five of these apparently flying in military colours in apparent formation over our house tonight. I've GOT to be wrong, what the fuck could a squadron of those do?

German registration, probably en route to bomb the shit out of Sturgeon.

How did you get up there to photograph that one?

superwoman
24th July 2015, 00:02
How did you get up there to photograph that one

Pogo stick

andyastro
24th July 2015, 00:04
Saw five of these apparently flying in military colours

gay fantasies

Dordie
24th July 2015, 00:17
Pogo stick

:rofl:

Lord Ponsonby
24th July 2015, 08:00
He got his wings in one of those.

Cynic
24th July 2015, 08:11

Done a bit of digging. It's a Gyroflug Speed Canard; they only ever made 39 of them - to see 5 together is unusual. There is one registered in the UK to the Empire Test Pilot School. The company (German) that made them ceased trading years ago, but the designs were bought by a company now owned by Northrop Grumman (US company). Apparently there was a tactical surveillance version offered, so maybe NG have made a military version from that. Not heard of it in UK service.

Can't find anything on the spotters forum.

Reg Perrin
24th July 2015, 08:22
Done a bit of digging. It's a Gyroflug Speed Canard; they only ever made 39 of them - to see 5 together is unusual. There is one registered in the UK to the Empire Test Pilot School. The company (German) that made them ceased trading years ago, but the designs were bought by a company now owned by Northrop Grumman (US company). Apparently there was a tactical surveillance version offered, so maybe NG have made a military version from that. Not heard of it in UK service.

Can't find anything on the spotters forum.

Well, they were like those rather than definitely that specific model. It was quite disconcerting!

Cynic
24th July 2015, 08:30
Well, they were like those rather than definitely that specific model. It was quite disconcerting!

Think I may have solved it; these are flying at Sunderland Airshow this weekend. Probably practising bombing St James Park.

http://www.theblades.com/getattachment/8040675d-ed9c-4dd2-b391-fe5ee8d0ed77/The-Blades-by-numbers.aspx

Reg Perrin
24th July 2015, 08:32
Think I may have solved it; these are flying at Sunderland Airshow this weekend. Probably practising bombing St James Park.

http://www.theblades.com/getattachment/8040675d-ed9c-4dd2-b391-fe5ee8d0ed77/The-Blades-by-numbers.aspx

They weren't them, but it's probably to do with the airshow.

Plutonium
24th July 2015, 10:04
I've never seen a plane with the propeller at the rear, before.

Cynic
24th July 2015, 10:08
I've never seen a plane with the propeller at the rear, before.

Called "pusher aircraft"; there have been quite a few made (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pusher_aircraft).

Plutonium
24th July 2015, 10:16
Called "pusher aircraft"; there have been quite a few made (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pusher_aircraft).

I suppose boats have the propeller at the rear, why not aircraft?

Cynic
24th July 2015, 10:22
I suppose boats have the propeller at the rear, why not aircraft?

It has advantages in a surveillance aircraft; you'll notice that the majority of modern drones are pusher aircraft.

Reg Perrin
27th July 2015, 19:42
These were the planes

Reg Perrin
27th July 2015, 19:42
What are those Cyn?

Cynic
27th July 2015, 20:06
What are those Cyn?

Sometimes, I even frighten myself; they are the "Patrouille REVA"

They're on FB, just search their name.

Reg Perrin
27th July 2015, 20:24
So what are they for? Just airshows?

Cynic
27th July 2015, 20:38
So what are they for? Just airshows?

They're all French Air Force pilots, but it's their private hobby, so yes - airshow display pilots.