PDA

View Full Version : Unions and "Commissioners"

Reg Perrin
29th May 2015, 10:20
I went to London yesterday. On the way down the occupants of the "pod" that I sat in and surrounding seats served to illustrate my problem with Trade Unions and their relationships with employers and the public.
I often attend meetings between Senior Management of the Local authority and Union representatives from various unions and branches of the Local Authority. Often, I have to admit, it's embarrassing to see the conduct of our GMT colleagues who are unused to the etiquette of meetings and are out of their depth in the simple act of communicating appropriately or effectively. On the other hand, I'm sick to death of the Management Speak, HR Language, full of the latest buzzwords and Acronyms that only they use. It's using language as power, but also indicative of the detached world in which they operate.
On the train there was a group of RMT guys, obviously going down to the meeting that ultimately led to the strike call yesterday. Their discussions were all about agenda items, internal squabbles about who did/said what and an intransigent bullish attitude that didn't seem to brook much room for compromise......but at least I understood them. The two people next to me were two senior managers from Humberside Health authority who were obviously preparing to give a talk (workshop) on the challenges to commissioning out Public health services effectively (privatisation). I know who they were because I caught sight of their names/agenda etc and googled them. They both talked absolute gobshite....but seemingly understood each other.
I think that other members of the public, like me, eavesdropping into these two conversations would leave with the conclusion that both groups were actually out of touch with the people they purported to represent or serve.

Dordie
29th May 2015, 10:24
indicative of the detached world in which they operate.

Peter Sellers types. s:21

Reg Perrin
29th May 2015, 10:26
On the way back, a guy behind me ate a packet of cheese and onion crisps whilst listening to music using his Iphone. He was therefore oblivious to the disgusting eating sounds and rustling crisp packet sounds he emitted for what seemed like an eternity. I felt like punching him in the fuckin face but when obtaining the necessary look at the sound source saw he was built like a brick shit house.

Reg Perrin
29th May 2015, 10:28
Peter Sellers types. s:21

Unfortunately that is the problem, they confirm that stereotype. This is one of the reasons, I'm convinced, that the Public see Unions as opposed to them rather than representing and supporting them. It's a stereotype that Rightards believe is still the truth of the matter and part of the reason why Labour lost the election.

Dordie
29th May 2015, 10:53
On the way back, a guy behind me ate a packet of cheese and onion crisps whilst listening to music using his Iphone. He was therefore oblivious to the disgusting eating sounds and rustling crisp packet sounds he emitted for what seemed like an eternity. I felt like punching him in the fuckin face but when obtaining the necessary look at the sound source saw he was built like a brick shit house.

Rustling crisp packets send me into orbit. More so if they do the initial crunch with Gob open. Big as he was it would not have stopped me making it painful for him to continue eating the fucking things.