PDA

View Full Version : Rightards who say they are "left-wing"

Plutonium
15th July 2012, 21:19
This is an interesting phenomenon. Posters who, to all appearances, are right-of-centre (to put it mildly) and express right-wing views and denigrate Labour, yet claim that they are in fact on the left of the political spectrum.

Of course, in itself this is not new. Tony Blair, a man who is clearly a Tory in all but name, got to be Labour leader on the basis that he had some kind of 'third way' that wasn't Old Labour but wasn't Tory either. In reality, he governed as the second most right-wing prime minister since the war. The most right-wing PM since the war was invited for tea at No 10 as soon as Blair himself became PM, which came as a shock and betrayal to those who had tirelessly campaigned to have him elected.

But here's the odd thing. The right-wing "left"-wingers despise New Labour. They hark back to some imaginary golden age of 'genuine' Labour, before Blair and his mates took over. Even though most people in Old Labour hold views on immigration, foreign policy, race relations, crime and the unions, which these righty-"left"-wingers utterly despise.

Another bizarre thing is that they say they are left-wing but deny being "lefties", but when pressed are unable to express any meaningful distinction between the two.

Indeed, the term "leftie" seems to cover practically all parties in local government, across the political spectrum, barring perhaps the BNP, plus anyone in the civil service.

Some of these people despise New Labour for being cronies of capitalists, and enemies of the working class, and yet they imagine themselves deriving kudos from being associated with the rich and famous.

These people, I think, are seriously mixed up.

Alice
15th July 2012, 21:35
Why do we have to be pigeon holed or labelled as left or right? My opinions and beliefs range from left to right but I don't consider that means I am mixed up, I am just an individual. What is consistent is my belief that all parties can be equally crap.

nicknotnicked
15th July 2012, 21:45
Why do we have to be pigeon holed or labelled as left or right?

Because Pluto says so...Ok?

Plutonium
15th July 2012, 23:28
Why do we have to be pigeon holed or labelled as left or right? My opinions and beliefs range from left to right but I don't consider that means I am mixed up, I am just an individual. What is consistent is my belief that all parties can be equally crap.

Interesting point and obviously, the terms "left" and "right" are subjective. I myself sometimes differ from others on the left, for example on the subject of Islam or crazy rules in schools.

However, I am particularly intrigued by two phenomena: (1) those who go on about 'lefties' but say they themselves are left of centre; well I always thought that was the definition of a leftie; (2) those who call themselves Old Labour, when their views are diametrically opposite to those held by Old Labour.

Alice
16th July 2012, 19:07
However, I am particularly intrigued by two phenomena: (1) those who go on about 'lefties' but say they themselves are left of centre; well I always thought that was the definition of a leftie; (2) those who call themselves Old Labour, when their views are diametrically opposite to those held by Old Labour.

Ah, I see, you're talking about Scrote. Mostly we just ignore him. HTH.

Scrotnig
16th July 2012, 19:14
Ah, I see, you're talking about Scrote. Mostly we just ignore him. HTH.
:irked:

Alice
16th July 2012, 19:19
:irked:

v:5

nicknotnicked
16th July 2012, 19:26
What a shame that you actually had the misfortune to mis-diagnose,,, you fuckin' know all or nothing!

Plutonium
18th July 2012, 18:47
What a shame that you actually had the misfortune to mis-diagnose,,, you fuckin' know all or nothing!

Sorry Nick, I haven't the faintest idea what you are jabbering on about here.

nicknotnicked
18th July 2012, 19:19
Sorry Nick, I haven't the faintest idea what you are jabbering on about here.

That's because you are a "choc ice" twat!

Plutonium
18th July 2012, 19:25
That's because you are a "choc ice" twat!

Whatever that means ...

Did you say you were once a councillor, Nick? I would love to have been in that council chamber, to listen to your stunning oratory.