Was Edward Longshanks Gay?
Started by Bill. MC, 14th June 2003 01:28 in News & Current Affairs

1. #1 | 337536
    BC Member
    Norway

JUN

Default Was Edward Longshanks Gay?

Sirs and Madams,

Many people contend that homophobes are in the closet or repressed gay people and this is supposed to be the reason why they attack other gay people. Supposedly because other gay people remind them of their repressed condition.

Edward Longshanks had a son called Edward who was next in line for the throne. He was gay and his father hated this. He even killed a few of his son's boyfriends.

I presume that if Longshanks was gay, then it must have been of a bi-sexual nature otherwise he would never have been able to father a son in the first place. There was even a rumour that Longshanks once did the business with his son's wife in order to father another heir to the throne.

Edward I Longshanks is sometimes called the Hammer of the Scots, because of his almost pathological hatred of the Scots. The reason given for his hatred of the Scots was because he found it difficult to deal with the Scots rebel, William Wallace and assert complete control over Scotland.

Maybe there was another reason why he hated the Scots. If we consider the situation in Scotland during Longshanks time, we will find a country divided on their opinion as who to support as king to replace the unfortunate Maid of Norway who died on a sunken ship. Many of the Scots clan chiefs and nobles would have been happy to support a puppet or liege Scots King of Edward's. Most of the clan chiefs and nobles were Anglo-Normans who also owned land in England and also family ties in England, such as for example Robert de Brus (The Bruce). The Picto-Scot clan chiefs of the Highlands and the Norse chiefs of the Islands were indifferent to the Scots crown. They considered themselves to be a law unto themselves. Sometimes they would even find it expedient to support the English kings if they were at loggerheads with their Scots king.

Now if Edward had played his cards right he may had had the support of many of the Scots and been able to establish a puppet king who give him fealty. Instead he made most of the Scots hate him, including the Bruce, who used to be his friend, but became his number one enemy after the death of Wallace. Bruce then went ahead and united the clans throughout Scotland and defeated Longshanks son Edward II at Banockburn. This was to great cost to Edward's successors and to England. In other words all the hassles could have been avoided.

But why then did he allow himself to develop such irrational hatred to the Scots when he could have taken advantage of their divided loyalties and obtained support from so many of them? Perhaps it was his homophobia that was to blame.

In Scotland during the Middle Ages the wearing of the kilt was more widespread, than in more recent centuries. He may have found the sight of loads of kilted Scotsmen to be sexually arousing. At the battle of Stirling bridge he must have found the sight of an army of Wallace's men baring their buttocks at him to be unbearable (pardoning the pun). All this would have reminded him of his repressed homosexuality and hence brought about an intense hatred and bitterness towards the Scots who reminded him of it.

regards,
    Bill. MC

2. #2 | 337537
    Important Staff Person
    BC Team
    South Africa

JUN

Default Re: Was Edward Longshanks Gay?

Very interesting, Bill MC.

I think the film Braveheart was very fanciful in many places, and we have no way of knowing if many of the scenes ever really took place at all.

Certainly there seems to be a lot of opinion that says repressed (closet) gays are bullies, being over anxious to 'hide' their natural feelings.
    Amaury:
    I don't want to be on a forum that has corrupt, unfriendly, and insulting members and corrupt staff.

3. #3 | 337538
    BC Member

JUN

Anybody,king or commoner, who finds loads of kilted Scotsmen sexually arousing must lead the most mudane of lives.
    This is the only inhabited world in all the galaxies. I know because I have travelled them all.

4. #4 | 337539
    Important Staff Person
    BC Team
    South Africa

JUN

In post 141296, ronniex said:
    Anybody,king or commoner, who finds loads of kilted Scotsmen sexually arousing must lead the most mudane of lives.

I have to say that they turn me on.............

I was enthralled by the Braveheart film.

But then I suppose my life is extremely mundane.....................:s
    Amaury:
    I don't want to be on a forum that has corrupt, unfriendly, and insulting members and corrupt staff.

5. #5 | 337540
    BC Member

JUN

never have been able to father a son in the first place

who said he did, there is a rumour his father did the honours
    If the disgust you propagate is permissable it is not to me

I am the living Angel the Angel of the Apocalypse

6. #6 | 337541
    BC Member
    Norway

JUN

In post 141374, andyastro said:
    never have been able to father a son in the first place

who said he did, there is a rumour his father did the honours
    I have never came across anything written in any history book, that there was indeed a rumour that Longshanks did the business with his son's wife, so that a child could be fathered, but it was mentioned in the Braveheart film.

regards,
    Bill. MC

7. #7 | 337542
    BC Member

JUN

but it was mentioned in the Braveheart film

I know thats where I got it from the film also implied that the french young queen also was pregnant with
    william wallaces child? After there affair! Hollywood
    fantasy I suppose.
    If the disgust you propagate is permissable it is not to me

I am the living Angel the Angel of the Apocalypse

Thread Information